Obama administration wants to resume migration talks with Cuba | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Obama administration wants to resume migration talks with Cuba

Lesley Clark - McClatchy Newspapers

May 22, 2009 07:38 PM

The Obama administration is looking to engage Cuba further, asking the Castro government Friday to resume migration talks that President George W. Bush suspended in 2004.

The move comes a month after President Barack Obama lifted travel and gift restrictions for those with relatives on the island and eased restrictions that limit the ability of U.S. telecommunication firms to do business in Cuba. It also comes as Secretary of State Hillary Clinton heads to Honduras for a June 2 gathering of the Organization of American States, where the reintegration of Cuba into the hemispheric body promises to be a hot topic.

Some Cuba watchers who favor increased engagement with Cuba _ including the Cuban American National Foundation _ had urged Obama last month to resume the migration talks, among other moves.

Florida's Cuban American Republican members of Congress, however, immediately criticized the overture.

"The administration should insist on the regime's full compliance with the migration accords before reopening formal talks," said Sen. Mel Martinez. "Otherwise, this will be little more than a concession to the regime and a departure from the president's commitment to make freedom the 'lodestone' of our policy towards Cuba."

In a joint statement, Reps. Lincoln Diaz-Balart, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and Mario Diaz-Balart called the move a "unilateral concession" to the Cuban government and demanded that the Castro government must first comply with 1994 and 1995 accords that were intended to smooth migration between the two countries .

The United States and Cuba had regular migration talks until December 2003, when Washington canceled a scheduled meeting because it said that Cuba was unwilling to cooperate. Since then, there's been little communication between Washington and Havana on the issue.

The Cuban regime continues to deny "hundreds of exit permits annually to Cuban nationals who have received visas to enter the United States," the three members of Congress said. "The Obama administration should first insist that the Castro dictatorship complies with the Accord before renewing 'talks.' Regrettably, this constitutes another unilateral concession by the Obama administration to the dictatorship."

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service