Pakistan militants bomb police complex in Lahore; 30 dead | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Pakistan militants bomb police complex in Lahore; 30 dead

Saeed Shah - McClatchy Newspapers

May 27, 2009 09:15 AM

A powerful bomb ripped through a police complex in the city of Lahore on Wednesday, claiming at least 30 lives and injuring some 250, the first major attack since Pakistani forces launched an offensive against the Taliban.

A car bomb outside a police emergency call center and the adjoining city police headquarters, at 10:30 a.m. local time, reduced the buildings to rubble. Dozens could yet be found under the debris. The local office of Pakistan's premier spy agency, Inter-Service Intelligence, located nearby, was also badly damaged.

A month ago, the army started an operation against Islamic extremists in the north west, in the Swat valley and neighboring districts. Commentators had previously expressed surprise that there had been no big reprisal so far. Lahore, the main city of the country's most populous province and a metropolis regarded as the cultural heart of Pakistan, suffered two terrorists attacks in March, one on a visiting cricket team and another on a police academy.

"I believe that anti-Pakistan elements, who want to destabilize our country and see defeat in Swat, have now turned to our cities," Interior Minister Rehman Malik told reporters.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Pakistan says decisive battle against the Taliban has begun

May 23, 2009 01:30 PM

world

On war zone tour, Pakistani army claims that 'collateral damage' is minimal

May 22, 2009 06:22 PM

world

Pakistani army fails to rescue civilian allies in Swat

May 21, 2009 06:25 PM

national-security

Photos are fresh evidence of growing Pakistani nuclear program

May 20, 2009 08:14 PM

world

Pakistani clerics back government offensive, denounce Taliban tactics

May 19, 2009 07:12 PM

world

Pakistani army controls Buner, but residents fear Taliban's return

May 18, 2009 06:50 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service