Dozens of Pakistani schoolboys reportedly still held hostage | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Dozens of Pakistani schoolboys reportedly still held hostage

Saeed Shah - McClatchy Newspapers

June 02, 2009 02:25 PM

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — At least 46 schoolboys reportedly remained in the custody of militants Tuesday in Pakistan's lawless Waziristan area after a mass abduction Monday.

The army announced Tuesday that it had freed 71 students and nine staff members from Razmak Cadet College after a clash with the armed abductors. However, a local official in Waziristan, who couldn't be named because he isn't authorized to speak to journalists, claimed that 46 boys and two teachers were still in captivity.

The army's chief spokesman, Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas, said that the military had intercepted the kidnappers Tuesday morning while they were taking the children from North Waziristan, in the country's tribal area, toward South Waziristan, which is the stronghold of the Pakistani Taliban, as well as al Qaida.

It remained unclear how many students were taken Monday evening. Some 500 were being driven in a convoy from their school in North Waziristan to the nearest town outside the tribal area when they were ambushed. In the confusion, reports conflicted on now many were abducted and how many got away.

No claim of responsibility for the kidnapping has been made so far but it's thought that the armed group that took them is either Taliban or a criminal gang closely associated with the Taliban.

(Shah is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Pakistan plan to attack Taliban haven promises wider war

Pakistan militants bomb police complex in Lahore; 30 dead

Iraq redux? Obama seeks funds for Pakistan super-embassy

Pakistan says decisive battle against the Taliban has begun

On war zone tour, Pakistani army claims that 'collateral damage' is minimal

Are Taliban abandoning guerrilla tactics in Pakistan conflict?

Pakistani army fails to rescue civilian allies in Swat

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service