New Afghan commander vows to reduce civilian casualties | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

New Afghan commander vows to reduce civilian casualties

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

June 02, 2009 02:57 PM

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama's choice to lead U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan appeared on Capitol Hill Tuesday and promised more precise attacks against Taliban and al Qaida targets that would reduce the civilian causalities that are eroding Afghan support for the coalition.

Army Lt. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the Special Forces commander, appeared before the Senate Armed Services Committee as part of his confirmation, which could come as early as Thursday.

"Our willingness to operate in ways that minimize casualties or damage — even when doing so makes our task more difficult — is essential to our credibility," he said.

McChrystal pledged to reexamine U.S. tactics and rules of engagement in Afghanistan.

So far, the Obama administration has pledged to send an additional 17,500 troops and 4,000 trainers, many to southern Afghanistan to take on a resurgent Taliban. Many of those forces are arriving now. There currently are 54,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan.

McChrystal, a former Special Operations command commander, also answered questions about military detainee operations. In that post, he was in charge of detainees captured by his forces in Afghanistan and Iraq. McChrystal agreed with Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., an Air Force Reserve lawyer who said that the military needs a comprehensive strategy for detainees.

McChrystal stressed he never endorsed abuse of detainees, "and I never will."

While senators conceded that the U.S. strategy in Afghanistan remains unclear &mdash and could fail — their most pointed questions were about McChrystal's role in how Cpl. Pat Tillman's death was reported. Tillman, a star safety for Arizona Cardinals, was killed in a friendly-fire incident in April 2004. The Army initially claimed that he died in an ambush by enemy forces.

McChrystal signed a letter recommending Tillman receive a Silver Star even though there was some question over the circumstances of his death. The general said Tuesday said that he stood by the decision to recommend the Silver Star even though it was a friendly fire incident.

And he said that mistakes made in reporting how Tillman died were not intentional.

But Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., told McChrystal that the "the Army failed the family." The general agreed and offered his apology.

"We failed the family. I was a part of that and I apologize for that," he said.

McChrystal succeeds Gen. David McKiernan, who was ousted by Defense Secretary Robert Gates ousted last month.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.S. soldiers' options limited to protect Afghans from Taliban

Can Afghan government regain lost valley? No way, police say

U.S. soldiers search for midwife in Afghan war zone

Battle-hardened U.S. team on dangerous Afghan eastern front

U.S. troops confront disciplined, wily, mobile Afghan insurgents

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

McChrystal's letter to Sen. Levin.

June 02, 2009 03:25 PM

world

Did 'returning' terrorists become extremists in Guantanamo?

May 26, 2009 07:37 PM

national-security

Are Taliban abandoning guerrilla tactics in Pakistan conflict?

May 15, 2009 06:22 PM

world

U.S. says airstrike killed 50 Afghans, mostly insurgents

May 08, 2009 01:03 PM

world

Obama says he's 'gravely concerned' about Pakistan

April 29, 2009 07:43 PM

politics-government

Events in Pakistan, Afghanistan overtake Obama's strategy

April 24, 2009 06:45 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service