Yemeni detainee at Guantanamo prison commits suicide | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Yemeni detainee at Guantanamo prison commits suicide

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

June 02, 2009 09:15 PM

A long-held Yemeni captive and frequent hunger striker committed suicide in a cell at the prison camps at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, the military said Tuesday.

Guards tried unsuccessfully to revive Muhammad Ahmad Abdallah Salih, 31, known as Prisoner Number 78, after he was found unconscious on Monday night, said Navy Lt. Cmdr. Brook DeWalt, a prison camps spokesman.

Salih was the fifth captive to apparently commit suicide in the Cuban sprawling prison camps compound since the Bush administration opened the prison camps in January 2002. He was the first during the tenure of President Barack Obama, who has ordered the detention center emptied by Jan. 22.

The Yemeni had been held on occasion in the detention center psychiatric ward, although detention center officials would say neither whether he was found dead in a cell there nor how he had died.

Guantanamo health records show Salih as a 5-foot-7-inch man who was weighed in to Camp X-Ray at 124 pounds on Feb. 8, 2002 -- days after his 24th birthday. His Guantanamo weight chart show that while fasting around Christmas 2005 he had withered to 85 pounds.

Salih has never been publicly identified as a candidate for trial. U.S. military officials said he was captured at Mazar e Sharif during the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan in late 2001, where he had traveled that year from his homeland "to participate in jihad" with members of the Taliban.

Read more at MiamiHerald.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Special report: 'Guantanamo: Beyond the Law'

May 21, 2009 12:47 PM

world

Did 'returning' terrorists become extremists in Guantanamo?

May 26, 2009 07:37 PM

congress

Obama works with Graham on new detainee policy

May 22, 2009 07:47 PM

politics-government

Obama's proposed Guantanamo legal plan rife with problems

May 21, 2009 06:16 PM

politics-government

Obama outlines plans for Guantanamo detainees

May 21, 2009 12:09 AM

politics-government

Senate strips funds to close Guantanamo

May 20, 2009 01:36 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service