Venezuela indicts owner of TV station critical of Chavez | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Venezuela indicts owner of TV station critical of Chavez

Tyler Bridges - McClatchy Newspapers

June 04, 2009 07:20 PM

CARACAS, Venezuela — Amid repeated threats by President Hugo Chavez to shut down the Globovision television station, government prosecutors Thursday indicted the station's main owner over an unrelated business deal.

Prosecutors charged that Guillermo Zuloaga, who also distributes Toyota vehicles in Venezuela, had stored 24 new cars at one of his homes with plans to sell them for an excessive profit. Government officials raided the home on May 21 and found the vehicles stored there.

Zuloaga told reporters Thursday that the government is trying to scare him and shut down Globovision, the only noncable television station that regularly airs critical reports and broadcasts of Chavez.

"The government should know that to shut up or close down a media outlet is not the way to hide what's really happening in Venezuela," Zuloaga said. Zuloaga said he wasn't planning to flee the country and added: "We don't believe there's anything to fear."

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, called the raid "deeply troubling" and urged Chavez to "respect all independent media and cease all harassment."

The Venezuelan Embassy in Washington said Wednesday the legal proceeding against Zuloaga for the cars is separate from the government's investigation of Globovision.

It said Kerry's statement ignored that the government "has demonstrated enormous tolerance toward the repeated irresponsible behavior by Globovision."

Chavez and senior government officials view Globovision as an arm of the opposition and have long accused the 24-hour news station of abetting a brief 2002 coup that toppled the president.

Globovision's executives say Chavez is upset because he hasn't been able to silence the station's hard-hitting reports.

Chavez publicly attacked Globovision last month after the station scooped state television stations when it reported that a mild earthquake had hit Venezuela early that morning with no major damage.

Chavez and senior government officials said the pre-dawn news report "incited panic."

The government also is investigating the big game hunting trophies that Zuloaga has on his walls to see whether this violated any environmental laws.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Caracas is as dangerous for the dead as it is for the living

Chavez, in new power grab, seeks to weaken governors

As Chavez silences critics, opposition fires back

Chavez wins this round, but Venezuela's bill is coming due

Follow South American news at McClatchy's Inside South America

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service