Bombing underscores security problems U.S. faces in Pakistan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Bombing underscores security problems U.S. faces in Pakistan

Saeed Shah and Jonathan S. Landay - McClatchy Newspapers

June 10, 2009 06:57 PM

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — The suspected Taliban bombing of a hotel in Peshawar that the United States was planning to purchase for a new consulate raises questions about the Obama administration's ability to implement its strategy for helping Pakistan end the country's al Qaida-backed insurgency, U.S. officials and experts said Wednesday.

The attack Tuesday night — which claimed at least 16 lives, including two U.N. international staffers, and wounded around 70 others — underscored the insurgents' ability to operate almost at will in Pakistan's key cities despite tight security.

It also highlighted the difficulty of providing sufficient security for a planned increase in American civilian officials, who're being sent to Pakistan to oversee a massive expansion in U.S. aid projects.

McClatchy reported last month that the State Department was close to completing a multimillion-dollar deal to purchase the 150-room hotel and transform it into a new U.S. consulate and housing complex for American officials working in the dangerous city.

It was unclear whether the bombing, which extensively damaged the hotel, would scuttle the negotiations.

"Even if they get the people up there (to Peshawar), they are going to be living in a fortified compound," a State Department official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to discuss the issue publicly. "It's a real tough situation."

The Taliban Movement of Pakistan, a loose amalgam of radical groups allied with al Qaida, has stepped up a two-year campaign of violence in retaliation for an offensive the army launched in May to wrest the Swat Valley and surrounding areas of the North West Frontier Province back from militant gunmen.

Peshawar, the provincial capital, has been hit the hardest, reeling from bombings and other attacks that have targeted civilians and security forces.

The United Nations on Wednesday pulled out most of its international staff from the city, a base for overseeing relief operations for around 2 million desperate people displaced by the fighting in Swat, raising the risk that the aid effort could be hobbled.

"We are reviewing our security arrangements. Clearly, we need to tighten our security," said Hiro Ueki, a U.N. spokesman in Islamabad. "We're hoping that conditions will soon allow us to deploy our international staff again."

The U.N. World Food Program also suspended the distribution of food to the refugees for 24 hours.

Two U.N. officials, a Serb and a Filipina, died in Tuesday's attack, and two others, a Briton and a German, were injured. The four were among more than 20 U.N. staff members who were staying at the Pearl Continental, the only luxury hotel in the gritty city, home to a major military headquarters and numerous security force facilities.

Three Pakistanis who were working as drivers or clerical staff for the United Nations were killed.

Murtaza Hashwani, the hotel owner and one of Pakistan's richest businessmen, vowed to rebuild the Pearl Continental within two months.

One side of the hotel collapsed under the force of the blast. The family also owns the Marriott Hotel in Islamabad, which was devastated by a bombing last year but reopened in three months.

"It's the same thing (as rebuilding the Marriott), but hopefully we'll do it in two months, that's our aim, said Hashwani, the chief executive of the Hashoo Group. "In the Marriott, the structure was fine but the rooms were gutted. Here, the structure is part demolished."

Hashwani, who declined to comment on the sale, accused the government of providing lax security, contending that, "We can only protect inside our boundaries. If something is moving around on the streets, who's checking that?"

However, closed-circuit video footage showed the small truck that contained the bomb entering the hotel compound with apparent ease after gunmen opened fire on guards.

Ambassador Richard Holbrooke, the U.S. special envoy to Pakistan and Afghanistan, asserted in Washington that the attack would further enrage ordinary people about the Taliban "provided the government gives the security necessary."

He added, however, that he'd found during a visit last week "a new determination in Islamabad" to confront the insurgency.

(Shah is a McClatchy special correspondent. Landay reported from Washington.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Suicide bomber attacks Pakistan hotel U.S. was to buy

Al Qaida plays key role on both sides of Pakistan-Afghan border

Pakistani tribesmen, with government support, attack Taliban extremists

Pakistani warlord threatens to launch attack on Washington

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Read our in-depth coverage of Pakistan and Afghanistan

May 11, 2009 07:46 AM

politics-government

Iraq redux? Obama seeks funds for Pakistan super-embassy

May 27, 2009 06:55 PM

national-security

Pakistani tribesmen, with government support, attack Taliban extremists

June 07, 2009 05:29 PM

world

Deadly Pakistan bombing may be payback for military offensive

May 27, 2009 07:33 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service