Honduran general who led coup says he tried to avoid it | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Honduran general who led coup says he tried to avoid it

Frances Robles - Miami Herald

June 30, 2009 01:40 PM

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras — The Honduran general whose refusal to help carry out a plebiscite set the stage for the president's ouster here says he did not seek to stage a coup — he was trying to defend his country's constitution.

''I feel bad about what happened,'' said Gen. Romeo Vásquez. "I tried very hard to counsel the president to find a legal way out of this. There was no way."

"Nobody is above the law."

Honduras President Manuel ''Mel'' Zelaya was booted from office by force at dawn Sunday when the Supreme Court, armed forces and attorney general determined Zelaya was about to commit treason, Vásquez said.

The move is being repudiated internationally.

Zelaya had planned to conduct a referendum Sunday that would have asked Honduran voters whether they wanted the November elections to include a fourth ballot asking for a constituent assembly to reform the constitution.

But the attorney general and the courts ruled the vote illegal, because it paved the way for modifications that are outlawed by the constitution. Zelaya vowed to defy the court order and tasked the armed forces with securing the ballots and handling logistics.

When Vásquez told the president that there was clamor from his ranks against doing something illegal, he was canned.

The military consulted military lawyers, the bar association, the Supreme Court and political leaders for legal opinions, Vásquez said.

"I did not tell him, 'I refuse to do this,' '' Vásquez said in an interview with The Miami Herald. "The commanders and I went to him telling him that we were ready to comply, but that we had a problem in that it was illegal. We asked him if he had a lawyer with a different interpretation.''

Zelaya fired Vásquez, and all the the military brass in the room, including the defense minister, quit. When the courts ordered Zelaya to reinstate the general, Zelaya refused.

By Saturday night, Vásquez said he was called to another meeting, where he learned the president planned to proceed with the constituent assembly. That, Vásquez said, would have been "an act of treason.''

Vásquez said he supervised an 18-point mission to seize the ballots around the nation -- and capture the president, too. Zelaya was spirited out of his bedroom and sent to Costa Rica.

''He is an excellent boss. He is a good person. I tried to have a friendship with him, but the friendship ends with duty,'' Vásquez said. "We had to get him out of the area to avoid worse things. We felt that if he stayed here, worse things were going to happen and there would be bloodshed.

"He had already been acting above the law.''

Read the complete story at miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

opinion

Commentary: Zelaya's naked power grab led to Honduras coup

June 30, 2009 12:11 PM

world

Former Honduran president welcomed at emergency meeting in Nicaragua

June 29, 2009 06:12 PM

world

Interim Honduran President defends military action

June 29, 2009 02:02 PM

world

U.S. forces hang tight in Honduras

June 29, 2009 06:05 PM

HOMEPAGE

Inside South America

June 29, 2009 08:20 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service