Soldier captured in Afghanistan may have left base alone | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Soldier captured in Afghanistan may have left base alone

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

July 02, 2009 12:57 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — A U.S. soldier who inexplicably walked off his barren military base earlier this week was captured by Taliban militants hours later, U.S. military officials said Thursday, in what is believed to be the first time insurgents here have captured a U.S. serviceman in the eight-year war.

The private first class, who was based in Paktika province in eastern Afghanistan near the Pakistan border, didn't show up for formation on Tuesday. When fellow soldiers went to his quarters, they found his weapon, but his journal was missing, officials in Kabul told McClatchy. Hours later, U.S. military officials received a phone call saying that the soldier had been kidnapped outside of the base, a senior military official told McClatchy. It's not clear whether any demands were made.

Soldiers at the base believe he may have walked off base, though a senior military officer told McClatchy no one saw him leave. Officials said they could think of no reason a soldier based in eastern Afghanistan would leave his base alone, especially with no one's knowing in advance. Troops generally leave the base in groups and with the knowledge of their commanders.

“We're incredulous,” a senior military officer said.

According to the AFP news agency, a commander from the Taliban network led by Afghan warlord Jalalludin Haqqani told a reporter that they had captured a U.S. serviceman in Paktika.

"One of our commanders named Mawlawi Sangin has captured a coalition soldier along with his three Afghan guards in Yousuf Khail district of Paktika province," the AFP quoted a commander identified a Bahram.

"The coalition soldier has been taken to a safe place," Bahram is quoted as saying. "Our leaders have not decided on the fate of this soldier. They will decide on his fate and soon we will present video tapes of the coalition soldier and our demand to media," he said.

Officials said they delayed announcing the soldier's capture in the hopes they would find him during a massive military search of the area. His family has been notified but the military did not release his name, which base he was stationed at or how long he has served in the Army. Officials told McClatchy they are not sure whether he was wearing his uniform when he left the base.

"We are exhausting all available resources to ascertain his whereabouts and provide for his safe return," the military said in a statement.

The search will test the military’s intelligence resources in the region. While U.S. troops have only recently increased their presence in southern Afghanistan, where the Marines launched a major operation earlier this week, they've been based in eastern Afghanistan since 2001.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service