Attorneys ask that Guantanamo detainee be sent home | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Attorneys ask that Guantanamo detainee be sent home

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

July 28, 2009 06:01 PM

A young Guantanamo captive accused of throwing a grenade that maimed two American soldiers has been moved to a section of the detention center reserved for detainees ready for release, and his lawyers said Tuesday that Afghan government is ready to dispatch a plane to Cuba to pick him up.

Mohammed Jawad's attorneys asked U.S. District Judge Ellen Segal Huvelle to order the U.S. government to send him home to Afghanistan. Huvelle scheduled a hearing for Thursday morning in the case.

Jawad has been held at Guantanamo for seven years. He originally was accused of the grenade attack and was to stand trial before a military commission, but both military and civilian judges have banned virtually all the Pentagon prosecutor's evidence, saying it was the result of torture. Last Friday, the Justice Department told Huvelle it did not have enough evidence to prosecute him as a war criminal. On Monday, his military attorney asked that the formal military commission charges against him be dismissed.

"The government of Afghanistan has made it clear that it is prepared to receive Mr. Jawad immediately and unconditionally,'' the young man's attorneys wrote in their filing.

As proof, the filing said, an unnamed "high-ranking Afghan official'' told U.S. military defense lawyers: "If I have to pay for the plane out of my own pocket I will. That boy doesn't need to stay at Guantanamo one day longer.''

Huvelle, who has handled a series of prison camp habeas corpus petitions, declared the Jawad case "an outrage'' and "in a shambles'' during a July 16 motions hearing.

"Let him out. Send him back to Afghanistan,'' she said.

On Friday, the U.S. government said it was still trying to determine whether Jawad might be charged in civilian court, but over the weekend he was moved to Guantanamo's Camp Iguana, a pre-release holding site, said Air Force Reserve Maj. David Frakt, Jawad's Pentagon defense lawyer.

The detention center established Camp Iguana last year to house captives no longer classified as "enemy combatants.'' There, detainees get greater privileges, including more phone calls, a prayer room and around-the-clock ping-pong. Guards watch over a half dozen wooden huts, surrounded by barbed wire, on the edge of the Caribbean.

"He's adjusting to his new environment, learning to play the Wii and getting caught up on Afghan cricket and soccer scores,'' said Frakt, whose co-counsel visited him at Iguana Tuesday.

"He's pleased but bewildered by the legal developments. Yet again he's won, but he's still there.''

Jawad was captured after someone threw a grenade into a U.S. vehicle passing through a bazaar in Kabul, Afghanistan, in December 2002, wounding three.

His age is in dispute. His lawyers say he was 12 at the time. But the Pentagon, after conducting bone scans on the boy at Guantanamo, concluded he was about 17 when the incident occurred.

On Monday, Frakt asked U.S. Army Col. Stephen Henley, a military judge, to dismiss Jawad's commissions case on grounds the war-crimes court has no authority to try a noncombatant.

"The U.S. cannot maintain a contrary position in the military commissions,'' the six-page motion said. "Having conceded that Mr. Jawad is not an unlawful enemy combatant, there can be no personal jurisdiction and the charges must be dismissed, with prejudice.''

Read the full story at MiamiHerald.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Army prosecutor quits Guantanamo war court case

September 25, 2008 11:18 AM

national

Guantanamo court judge: Threatening family was torture

October 29, 2008 07:10 AM

latest-news

Transcript of July 16, 2009, Jawad hearing before Judge Huvelle.

July 24, 2009 09:16 PM

world

U.S. admits it has no case against teen held at Guantanamo

July 24, 2009 07:47 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service