Iraq raids camp of Iranian opposition group U.S. protected | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Iraq raids camp of Iranian opposition group U.S. protected

Laith Hammoudi and Leila Fadel - McClatchy Newspapers

July 28, 2009 08:59 PM

BAGHDAD — Iraqi authorities raided the camp of a small Iranian opposition group living in the north of Iraq on Tuesday, killing at least four of the group's members in a spate of clashes that ensued, members of the group said.

At Camp Ashraf in the northern province of Diyala, about 3,400 members of the Mujahadeen-e-Khalq group went on a hunger strike following what they called a "brutal" raid that targeted unarmed members of their organization.

Since the U.S. handed control of the camp to Iraqi authorities on Jan.1, Iraq has increased efforts to push the group out. U.S. officials were promised that the cult-like MEK organization on the U.S. list of terror groups would be treated "humanely" under Iraqi authority.

An Iraqi security official in Diyala told McClatchy that on government orders, security forces from the Ministry of Interior and riot police entered the camp Tuesday afternoon using bulldozers to tear down the walls.

Members of the group responded with large knives and "toxic bombs" to fight back, he said. The MEK, which fought the Iranian regime from Iraqi soil under Saddam Hussein, is said to have been disarmed by U.S. forces after the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003. The group was never forced to leave and had been protected by the U.S. forces until this year. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak to the media

The MEK described a very different scene than the Iraqi official did. Security forces rushed into the camp, shot innocent, unarmed civilians and took at least 28 people into custody, a statement from the MEK said. At least 300 people were wounded, it said.

The MEK is lobbying to remain in the self-sustained camp north of Baghdad and fear returning to Iran, where members say they'd be killed. Iraq has made it clear that they don't have to go to Iran, but they can't stay in Iraq. The Iraqi government has stopped most goods from entering the camp and Tuesday's raid was the largest escalation against the group.

About 50 people inside of the camp are wanted by the Iranian government, but it was unclear if the 28 people taken were among them. The MEK has also been linked to the assassinations of U.S. military personnel in Iran in the 1970s and helping Saddam quash Kurdish and Shiite uprisings.

"We continue to monitor the situation closely to ensure the residents of Camp Ashraf are treated in accordance with Iraq's written assurance that it will treat them humanely," said Ian Kelly, a State Department spokesman.

(Hammoudi, a McClatchy special correspondent, reported from Baghdad. Fadel reported from Washington. Warren P. Strobel contributed to this article.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Cult-like Iranian militant group worries about its future in Iraq

Heavy turnout in Iraq's Kurdistan for contest of new vs. old

In Kurdistan, voters are offered Obama-like 'Change'

Iraq's Maliki raises possibility of asking U.S. to stay on

2 million pilgrims visit shrine as Iraqi security forces pass test

Maliki, boosted by U.S. pullback, to call on Obama

Report: Big cuts needed at huge Baghdad embassy built by Bush

Read what McClatchy's Iraqi staff has to say at Inside Iraq

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service