Judge orders Afghan teen home after years at Guantanamo | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Judge orders Afghan teen home after years at Guantanamo

Marisa Taylor - McClatchy Newspapers

July 30, 2009 04:16 PM

WASHINGTON — A young Guantanamo detainee appears likely to be sent home by late August after a federal judge concluded Thursday that he'd been held illegally and ordered him released after almost seven years.

"After this horrible, long, tortured history, I hope the government will succeed in getting him back home," U.S. District Judge Ellen Segal Huvelle told Justice Department lawyers during a court hearing Thursday. "Enough has been imposed on this young man to date."

U.S. officials say they think that Mohammed Jawad was 17 when first detained, but Afghan officials have said they think he was 12.

While the Justice Department maintains that there's still a chance that Jawad will be charged in federal court, officials also acknowledged in court that they faces major obstacles in prosecuting him, including the fact that most of the evidence against him has been thrown out because it was obtained through torture.

Huvelle told the government to begin the process of releasing Jawad by Aug. 21 to comply with new congresssional restrictions on the Obama administration. The judge also ordered the government to�report on the status of Jawad's release on Aug. 24.

Jawad, who's now being held in a section of the facility reserved for detainees ready for release, already had been told that the government conceded last week that he no longer could be held as a military detainee, "but he remained confused about what would happen next," said one of his lawyers, Jonathan Hafetz of the American Civil Liberties Union.

"Hopefully, today's order by the judge will give him further clarity and hope that this nightmare is coming to an end."

If he's released, Jawad plans to return to his family and he hopes to study to become a doctor, Hafetz said. The Afghan government has offered to dispatch a plane to Cuba to pick him up, but Justice Department lawyers said the Pentagon and State Department were still working out the details of his transfer.

Jawad was originally charged with throwing a grenade that wounded two U.S. soldiers in Kabul. A military judge ruled last year, however, that his confession to Afghanistan authorities had been coerced by torture because they threatened to arrest and kill his family. Huvelle earlier this month told Justice Department attorneys that without the confession they had no evidence against him.

The Justice Department has said a task force now reviewing Guantanamo cases considered Jawad's case and referred him for possible prosecution, but his lawyers said Thursday that they were optimistic that he would not be charged.

"The judge made it abundantly clear today that any criminal prosecution would face virtually insurmountable obstacles," Hafetz said. "She admonished the government in the strongest terms possible that prosecuting Mr. Jawad at this point would be totally inconsistent with the evidence she's seen and would really flout basic principles of justice."

Last week, the judge angrily called the case an "outrage."

Huvelle is only the latest judge to criticize the Justice Department for its handling of Guantanamo cases. President Barack Obama has pledged to close Guantanamo by January, but the administration has yet to complete a plan for releasing detainees or trying them in U.S. courts.

Thursday, Huvelle reiterated her concerns.

"Let's hear it, are you going to be reasonable?" the judge prodded the Justice Department lawyers.

"The courts are in an untenable position because we're told to move quickly," she said. "At every turn, there's been a request to delay."

After she rattled off the possible challenges the government would face in putting Jawad on trial in federal court — including that he was a juvenile when he was detained — Deputy Assistant Attorney General Ian Gershengorn said that he "shared" the court's concerns although the decision about prosecution would be made by another team of attorneys.

"I have every expectation that I will hear August 24th that he is en route," Huvelle said, before adding: "I will continue to share my concerns with the attorney general if he wants to listen."

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Guantanamo: Beyond the Law, a McClatchy investigation

U.S. says it's willing to send young Afghan detainee home

U.S. admits it has no case against teen held at Guantanamo

Follow the latest politics news at McClatchy's Planet Washington

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

U.S. says it's willing to send young Afghan detainee home

July 29, 2009 05:50 PM

world

Attorneys ask that Guantanamo detainee be sent home

July 28, 2009 06:01 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service