Afghanistan bombing kills 7, hurts 91 near U.S. headquarters | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Afghanistan bombing kills 7, hurts 91 near U.S. headquarters

Jonathan S. Landay - McClatchy Newspapers

August 15, 2009 01:34 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan — A massive car bomb apparently driven by a suicide bomber exploded outside the front gate of the headquarters of U.S.-led forces in Afghanistan Saturday morning, killing at least seven people and rattling nerves throughout the capital.

The Afghan Defense Ministry said at least 91 people were injured in the explosion, which struck at about 9:30 a.m. local time. The blast stripped the leaves from trees and broke out windows in the Ministry of Transportation and Civil Aviation opposite the heavily guarded military headquarters. Hulks of burned out cars caught in the explosion littered the street.

Sayed Abdul Ghaffar Sayedzada, the head of the Kabul police department's criminal investigation division, blamed the blast on the Taliban and said it was an effort to disrupt planning for Thursday's presiential election.

"It was a plot to disrupt the tranquility and calm of the election preparations," Sayedzada said.

No Americans were reported injured in the blast, which occurred on a heavily patrolled street where parked cars are not allowed. Sayedzada attributed the blast to a "terrorist suidice bomber."

The headquarters of the so-called International Security Assistance Force, the formal name for the U.S.-led coalition battling Afghanistan's radical Islamist Taliban, houses the offices of the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal. It was not immediately known if McChrystal was there at the time of the explosion.

But the blast, the worst violence in the Afghan capital, immediately raised questions of how the Taliban had been able to come so close to so critical an installation.

Authorities have feared the Taliban would launch attacks in the capital in the run-up to the election, which pits President Hamid Karzai against dozens of would-be successors. Karzai is expected to dominate Thursday's balloting but must win more than 50 percent of the vote to avoid a runoff.

The Taliban have vowed to disrupt the vote and have warned Afghans that voters would be considered legitimate military targets. In teh wake of Saturday's explosion, some officials and diplomats canceled meetings.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national-security

In Taliban heartland, coalition's made little headway after 8 years

August 13, 2009 04:13 PM

politics-government

McChrystal wants huge boost in U.S. civilians in Afghanistan

August 10, 2009 05:59 PM

politics-government

U.S. mulls pulling troops from remote Afghan outposts

August 12, 2009 05:34 PM

national-security

Did bad decisions set stage for 9 U.S. deaths in Afghanistan?

July 31, 2009 03:31 PM

national-security

As security rises in Kabul, residents feel less safe instead

July 23, 2009 03:30 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service