U.S. general wants to move troops to northern Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

U.S. general wants to move troops to northern Iraq

Adam Ashton - McClatchy Newspapers

August 17, 2009 03:55 PM

BAGHDAD — The top U.S. general in Iraq wants to place more American soldiers along the fault line between Iraqi Kurds and Arabs, two groups who've appeared on the verge of civil war at times over the past year.

Gen. Ray Odierno has discussed his proposal with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki and Kurdish President Massoud Barzani, two leaders who've been at odds for the past year over how to determine which group should govern the oil-rich city of Kirkuk and the Ninevah plains near Mosul.

A spokesman for Multi-National Force Iraq said Monday that Odierno is proposing a temporary deployment that would not affect the planned withdrawal of American forces by Dec. 31, 2011.

The intent is to partner American soldiers with Kurdish-controlled peshmerga and Iraqi forces who answer to Maliki's government in Baghdad "to prevent the disputed areas from being used as a seam."

"If approved, this change in security posture would be a temporary measure to improve confidence in the security situation and pressure terrorist networks," said the spokesman, who asked not to be identified as a matter of policy.

Resolving the dispute between Kurds and Arabs over Kirkuk and the Ninevah plains is one of the top remaining priorities for Americans in Iraq. Defense Secretary Robert Gates visited the country last month and urged Maliki and Barzani to settle the matter before U.S. forces leave.

Maliki's Cabinet, meanwhile, has submitted a proposal that would give Iraqi voters a chance in January to hasten the withdrawal of American forces from their country by as much as a year, sending all remaining U.S. soldiers home by the end of 2010 instead of 2011.

The plan, en route to Iraq's parliament, would set a national referendum on Jan. 16, giving voters a say on the security agreement that defines the pace of the drawdown.

That vote would take place on the same date that Iraqis choose their next parliament, their first national vote since 2005.

It's not clear whether parliament will support the date, but it's likely that Iraqis — exhausted by more than six years of war and occupation — would elect to send Americans home earlier if they had an opportunity to vote on it.

The pact took effect Jan. 1. Its key date so far was June 30, when American soldiers were required to leave their bases in cities and towns. Maliki designated the date "National Sovereignty Day," and it was celebrated with parties in the street.

That success could persuade Iraqis to support the withdrawal agreement, said Abdul Karim al Samarrai, a prominent lawmaker from the Iraqi Islamic Party.

"The people now have a better idea about what the agreement holds for them, especially as they have seen the actual withdrawal of American troops from their cities. Maybe they have more faith in it," he said.

About 131,000 American soldiers remain in Iraq. They're expected to decline to 50,000 by next August.

The security agreement, drafted last fall between the Bush administration and Maliki's government, says either side must give the other a year's notice before changing the pact, meaning that the U.S. would have at least that much time to exit Iraq if voters reject the agreement.

Maliki agreed to put the agreement to a vote to appease critics in parliament who insisted that all Iraqis have their say. The referendum was supposed to take place at the end of July.

The Ministry of Planning also announced a delay in another election-related issue Monday. It's postponing a planned census because of fears that the results would stir violence in the northern provinces that are the focus of Odierno's new security proposal.

The Kurdistan Regional Government wants to annex both areas. The census was supposed to be a step toward votes on whether the territories would join the semiautonomous Kurdish region or continue to be controlled by Baghdad.

Barzani's government controls three provinces and views both Kirkuk and the Ninevah plains as essential parts of the Kurdish homeland.

Kurds grew especially sensitive to threats against the territories late last year when the central government deployed an army division near Kirkuk, an ethnically mixed province believed to have roughly equal populations of Kurds, Arabs and Turkomen.

Meanwhile, the Ninevah plains outside Mosul have seen some the most violent attacks on civilians in recent weeks. More than 20 Yazidis, a religious minority, were killed Thursday. A village outside Mosul was leveled by two truck bombs Aug. 10, killing more than 30.

(Ashton reports for The Modesto (Calif.) Bee. McClatchy special correspondent Sahar Issa contributed to this report.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

6 years after invasion, electricity still scarce in Baghdad

Iraqis fear latest bombings signal return of al Qaida in Iraq

A McClatchy reporter reflects on what war brought to Iraq

Iraqis remaining cool despite attacks on mosques, minorities

Iraq's Assyrian Christians find temporary home in Kurdistan

Read what McClatchy's Iraqi staff has to say at Inside Iraq

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service