Defying U.S., Honduras won't let Zelaya return as president | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Defying U.S., Honduras won't let Zelaya return as president

Tyler Bridges - McClatchy Newspapers

September 08, 2009 07:42 PM

CARACAS, Venezuela — Honduras' de facto government remains dead-set against the return of Manuel Zelaya as the country's president, in defiance of the Obama administration and disregard of the U.S. sanctions imposed last week against the poor Central American nation.

In fact, the government of interim President Roberto Micheletti appears to be digging in its heels against Zelaya by circulating accusations the ousted president illegally used public money to keep horses, buy watches and jewelry and repair his Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

Foreign Minister Carlos Lopez Contreras said his government continues to reject calls that it grant amnesty to Zelaya and allow him to return as president, as called for under a proposal by Costa Rican President Oscar Arias.

"Mr. Zelaya has orders for his arrest for crimes he has committed. That is the only possibility," Lopez Contreras told McClatchy in a telephone interview.

Lopez Contreras said outsiders don't seem to understand that whether Honduras grants amnesty to Zelaya depends not on Micheletti but the country's Congress and Supreme Court.

The foreign minister complained that Arias had rejected out of hand a Micheletti government counterproposal from Aug. 27 that would establish a unity government in Honduras that neither he nor Zelaya would head. It would also end Honduras' trade agreements with Venezuela that have been a point of pride for President Hugo Chavez.

"The mediator acts like a negotiator for Zelaya instead of as a mediator," Lopez Contreras said. "We don't see him playing an objective role."

The Obama administration, Canada and Latin American and Caribbean countries want Micheletti to step aside so Zelaya can serve out his term, which ends on Jan. 27. They've all condemned the June 28 coup, in which soldiers rousted Zelaya from bed and whisked him out of the country.

The Micheletti government, a majority of the Honduran Congress and powerful civil and business groups say they can't trust Zelaya to keep his word under the Arias plan. All are convinced that he'd push for a measure aimed at rewriting the constitution so he could be president again.

Micheletti and his supporters say that Zelaya repeatedly violated the law by trying to hold a plebiscite that would've permitted a vote for the new constitution. The military deposed Zelaya after the Supreme Court ordered his removal.

The U.S. State Department sought to tighten the pressure on the Micheletti government last week by canceling $30 million in non-humanitarian aid, revoking the visas of political leaders who supported Zelaya's ouster and seeming to close the door on recognizing the result of the Nov. 29 presidential and congressional elections.

The U.S. is the 800-pound gorilla in Honduras; more than half of Honduras' trade is with the U.S. The U.S. also has a military base in Honduras, the brightest Hondurans study in the U.S. and Hondurans speak English as a point of pride.

A pro-Zelaya radio station reported Tuesday that the State Department had begun canceling visas for Honduran members of Congress.

Congressman Antonio Rivera said the report wasn't true but said he was prepared to lose his visa.

"They can decide who they want to take visas away from," Rivera said by telephone from Tegucigalpa.

Victor Meza, who was Zelaya's minister of internal security, said the visa cancellations would hit home among Micheletti's well-to-do supporters.

"To have a visa to visit the United States is like having a birth certificate for them," Meza said by telephone. "It's like an identity card for the upper crust."

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.S. cuts non-humanitarian aid to Honduras

Uribe's flu reminds even presidents to wash their hands

Would-be Zelaya successor is Honduras coup's other victim

Despite Chavez's efforts, Peru isn't buying into his dream

China makes its move as U.S. falls back in Latin America

Latin America's populist leaders are sharing hard times

Now, Ahmadinejad's corner: Chavez, Swaziland and Hamas

Caracas is as dangerous for the dead as it is for the living

Follow South American news at McClatchy's Inside South America

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service