Accused 9-11 mastermind says 'Allah' will defend him | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Accused 9-11 mastermind says 'Allah' will defend him

Carol Rosenberg - The Miami Herald

September 24, 2009 07:12 AM

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba — Accused al Qaeda kingpin Khalid Sheik Mohammed tried to fire his free-of-charge defense attorneys earlier this year in a letter made public Tuesday that declared Allah would defend him.

Mohammed, 44, is accused of masterminding the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks that killed 2,974 people in a mass murder case that seeks to execute him and four alleged co-conspirators.

His military judge on Monday left the defense team intact until Nov. 16 while the Obama administration chooses either military or federal trials for the alleged 9/11 plotters.

In a motion on March 13, Mohammed wrote that he wanted to dismiss his Pentagon defense lawyer, Army Lt. Col. Michael Acuff, and Boise, Idaho, criminal defense attorneys David Nevin and Scott McKay.

"I believe that Allah is sufficient to defend me," he wrote.

"I wish to represent myself without the assistance of any lawyers."

A court security officer declassified the two-page document April 3. But the judge, Col. Stephen Henley, only authorized its release after Monday's hearing.

The American Civil Liberties Union has spent more than $3.5 million providing legal defense experts to Guantánamo detainees facing death penalty charges to help Pentagon-paid lawyers grapple with the complexity of a capital criminal defense.

Mohammed, who was waterboarded 183 times in CIA custody, has resisted all American defense attorneys.

He has also bragged of his role in the 9/11 attacks, and with his co-accused called the allegations against him "badges of honor."

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Special report: 'Guantanamo: Beyond the Law'

May 21, 2009 12:47 PM

HOMEPAGE

Guantanamo Bay Detainee Litigation ruling at FindLaw.com

May 20, 2009 02:39 PM

HOMEPAGE

After Guantanamo

May 04, 2009 11:07 AM

HOMEPAGE

More Guantanamo coverage from the Miami Herald

May 01, 2009 08:16 PM

world

Alleged 9/11 mastermind given copy of My Lai massacre film

September 21, 2009 08:25 PM

world

Guantanamo judge delays 9/11 cases; civilian trials pondered

September 21, 2009 04:40 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service