U.S. says some Uighurs soon to leave Guantanamo | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

U.S. says some Uighurs soon to leave Guantanamo

Michael Doyle and Marisa Taylor - McClatchy Newspapers

September 24, 2009 07:56 PM

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration told the U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday that as many as eight Muslim Uighurs who've been ordered freed from the detention center at Guantanamo Bay by a federal district judge here may soon be relocated to the Pacific Island nation of Palau.

Solicitor General Elena Kagan's disclosure in a letter to the court may have been intended to discourage the court from agreeing to hear a case that could result in federal court judges having the legal power not just to order Guatanamo detainees freed, but to enforce their orders. Judges have ordered 30 detainees released after hearing the government's evidence against them, but only a handful of those have actually been transferred to other countries.

The Pentagon dropped all charges against 17 Uighurs who'd been held at Guantnamao since their detention in 2001, and a U.S. district judge in Washington ordered they be released to the United States last fall. But the judge's order was overturned, and 13 of the men remain at the detention center while the Obama administration searches for a country willing to accept them. Four other Uighurs were transferred to Bermuda earlier this year.

The Supreme Court, whose 2009-10 term officially begins Oct. 5, is scheduled to discuss the Uighur case on Tuesday. The potential release of nearly all the Uighurs from U.S. custody could allow the justices to put off until another day deciding whether judges can enforce their release orders.

President Barack Obama, like the Bush administration before him, asserts that judges don't have the jurisdiction to force the executive branch to release foreign nationals into the country.

"If the court takes that case, it becomes huge," said Steven Shapiro of the American Civil Liberties Union.

The Uighurs are Muslims who come from western China. China accuses them of being separatists and demanded they be returned to China. But the U.S. government has refused to do so, saying they would be subject to mistreatment there.

Kagan said the transfer of as any as 12 of the Uighurs could come sometime after Oct. 1. She said Palau has agreed to accept all but one of the 13, and that six have accepted the transfer. Efforts to persuade two others are ongoing, she wrote.

"The U.S. government has every reason to believe that at least six of the petitioners shortly will be resettled in Palau, although it is impossible to be certain until they actually board the plane,'' Kagan said.

In a separate letter to the court, Sabin Willett, a lawyer representing the Uighurs, said one of the 13, Arkin Mahmud, has not been offered a chance to resettle in Palau. "No nation has offered him refuge,'' Willett said.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national-security

Palau agrees to accept Uighur detainees from Guantanamo

June 10, 2009 07:39 PM

politics-government

Court says judge can't order Uighurs into the United States

February 18, 2009 12:45 AM

world

U.S. officials meeting with Uighur detainees in Guantanamo

March 31, 2009 06:59 PM

national-security

Appeals court blocks release of Guantanamo detainees

October 08, 2008 09:31 PM

national-security

Judge orders 17 Guantanamo detainees released to U.S.

October 07, 2008 02:28 PM

world

Judges siding with detainees in Guantanamo habeas cases

September 07, 2009 09:13 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service