Fearing fraud, challenger may pull out of Afghan runoff | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Fearing fraud, challenger may pull out of Afghan runoff

Hal Bernton and Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

October 31, 2009 02:22 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan--Unless President Hamid Karzai agrees to urgent steps to combat fraud, challenger Abdullah Abdullah will not participate in the Nov. 7 presidential runoff, senior aides to Abdullah said Saturday.

Abdullah, a former foreign minister in Karzai's government, was negotiating with him Saturday, and plans to announce his decision Sunday, Abdullah aides said.

"He definitely won't participate if this doesn't happen," said the Abdullah campaign official, who declined to be identified due to the sensitivity of the situation.

Abdullah seeks the removal of the chairman of the Afghan Independent Election Commission as well as three cabinet ministers. He accused all four of using their government positions to help Karzai win the Aug. 20 first round that was marred by massive vote rigging.

Abdullah's complaint took on added force last week when the election commission, many of whose members were appointed by Karzai, opted to keep open hundreds of polling places where widespread fraud had been documented in the first round.

Abdullah's withdrawal would be a big setback for the United States and other western nations, which had hoped that the runoff could produce a legitimate leader after a first round darkened by widespread voter fraud and insurgent violence.

A second Abdullah campaign official said the decision to opt out, unless there are immediate election reforms, was taken earlier in the week. Abdullah has called a meeting for Sunday morning with hundreds of his supporters to announce his decision.

Some western officials expect Abdullah will decide to opt out and said the major question is how Abdullah will frame his decision.

A gracious statement of withdrawal could set the stage for some healing of the political wounds that have festered in the aftermath of the Aug. 20 election. But rather than concede, Abdullah could simply boycott the election and lash out at Karzai for failing to curb fraud.

Also up in the air is whether the runoff will still go ahead.

Western officials say it would be foolish to move forward with a meaningless election that would require voters and Afghan and U.S. forces to risk their lives. They believe some way could be found to call off the elections should Abdullah make a clean exit from the race.

But the Election Commission has a different take.

Even without Abdullah's participation, the second round election will take place next Saturday, Daoud Ali Najfi, a commission official, told McClatchy. "The time for a withdrawal has ended. According to the law, Abdullah must participate, and the votes he gets will be counted," he said.

The United Nations estimates the second round elections will cost more than $20 million and will require extensive military preparations to try to secure polling places. It would be a frustrating prospect to go to an enormous effort for an election discredited by the challenger's withdrawal.

Abdullah has stated that the second round election will be vulnerable to fraud. In a press conference last week, he called for the resignation of the chairman of the Afghan Independent Election Commission, Azizullah Ludin.

President Hamid Karzai rejected Abdullah's demands, and a Karzai campaign aide maintained that the president does not have the legal power to dismiss Ludin.

"Negotiations are going on but without result," said Moen Marastyal, who serves on the Karzai campaign team. "We are going for the election and will not accept his withdrawal or boycott."

On Thursday, the election commission announced that ballots had been delivered to many of the more than 6,300 polling stations that would be open for the runoff.

Responding to one of Abdullah's demands, the commission also accredited another 20,000 Abdullah campaign observers to help monitor polling sites.

Earlier this month, western diplomats and Sen. John Kerry (D-Ma.) put intense pressure on Karzai to accept the runoff following an audit that deducted hundreds of thousands of fraudulent votes from the incumbent's initial tally. After Karzai accepted Oct. 20, the U.N., which provides technical support, began whirlwind efforts to prepare for the elections.

Abdullah had informed U.S. diplomats that he is open to a deal in which Karzai would carry out government reforms and invite some of his supporters into the government in return for Abdullah's withdrawal from the race. Karzai has rejected any such proposal.

The Taliban has vowed to disrupt the election, and on Wednesday insurgents assaulted a guesthouse full of UN workers, killing five and injuring nine.

If Abudullah pulls out of the election, the Taliban could claim a propaganda victory.

There are also concerns that Abdullah could trigger tension in the country between Abdullah's core support, from ethnic Tajiks in the north, and Pashtuns who have rallied around Karzai.

"If the (Abdullah) supporters hold demonstrations, it makes the situation worse," said Babrak Shenwari, a Pahstun parliamentarian from the eastern province of Nangahar.

(Bernton reports for The Seattle Times. Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY:

Defying U.N., Afghans to keep fraud-marred polling centers

Taliban attack raises fears ahead of second Afghan vote

Cost of Afghanistan project soars, benefits exaggerated

Unsettled Afghanistan prepares for new elections, new challenges

Killer crop: Afghan opium fuels addictions, finances terrorists

Refugees don't think Pakistan's anti-Taliban efforts are serious

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service