In Venezuela, killings by police come under scrutiny | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

In Venezuela, killings by police come under scrutiny

Phil Gunson - The Miami Herald

December 10, 2009 06:55 AM

CHABASQUEN, Venezuela — The gunshots woke them at 2 in the morning, but no one dared venture out until dawn.

"My kids saw them first, on the way to school," said Francelisa Perez, whose one-story house is 150 yards from the gruesome discovery. "Their hands were tied."

Six bodies -- all with multiple bullet wounds, some with signs of torture -- were recovered from the river bank at Agua Clara, a popular spot just outside this small town in the foothills of the Venezuelan Andes.

The dead included two 16-year-old girls, who had been raped, and two boys of 15. Three more teens, though shot, managed to escape. All had been taken in police cars, hours earlier, from homes in Sanare in the neighboring state of Lara.

With Venezuela's murder rate spiraling ever further out of control, and the police responsible for a large share of the killings, the country's leftist government is launching a National Police force that — in the words of Interior Minister Tarek El Aissami — will "mark a break with the repressive model" of the past.

But some human rights activists believe it may do just the opposite.

"We have to give them the benefit of the doubt," said Rocio San Miguel of the defense and human rights group Citizens' Control. "But the ideological element in the launch [of the National Police] is a very bad sign. And there is no mechanism for democratic supervision."

The Chabasquén massacre, on Oct. 23, 2008, was one of at least a half-dozen involving police and other security forces in Lara in the past two years, according to the state's Victims' Committee Against Impunity, a nongovernmental organization.

"Never -- not even in the days of the guerrilla war in Venezuela -- have there been so many killings by the security forces," said Committee activist Pablo Hernández. "In the past two years, there have been seven massacres in Lara."

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Coverage of Latin America from The Miami Herald

February 09, 2009 11:38 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service