Karzai ousts 2 ministers U.S. wanted gone over corruption | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Karzai ousts 2 ministers U.S. wanted gone over corruption

Hashim Shukoor and Dion Nissenbaum - McClatchy Newspapers

December 19, 2009 04:33 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghan President Hamid Karzai took a step on Saturday towards reassuring wary Western allies by appointing a new cabinet that sheds two prominent politicians accused of corruption and retains pro-American leaders in key posts.

After weeks of consultation with Western diplomats, Karzai selected a new political team that seeks to mollify American officials who have pressed him to crack down on corruption and assuage Afghan warlords who backed him during the fraud-tainted presidential election.

Karzai opted to retain the ministers of finance, defense, and interior, all of whom will play central roles in building a credible Afghan security force capable of eventually replacing U.S. and other NATO forces in Afghanistan.

The Afghan president also sidelined the current minister of mines and minister of religious affairs, both of whom have been accused of political corruption.

While American officials worked intensively with Karzai, the U.S. Embassy in Kabul issued a guarded statement.

“We look forward to the lower house of parliament carrying out their duty to vet and approve candidates who will contribute to Afghanistan’s progress towards institutional reform, security, and prosperity,” said Caitlin Hayden, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Embassy.

Aleem Siddique, a spokesman for Kai Eide, the United Nations special representative in Afghanistan, said: “This certainly represents a step in the right direction.”

Karzai’s cabinet choices were viewed as a critical test for the Afghan leader whose declining international stature took a severe hit earlier this year when he was declared the winner of a fraud-tainted election.

While Karzai eventually acceded to a runoff with political rival Abdullah Abdullah, his challenger accused the president of rigging the second-round and abruptly dropped out of the race in the final days of the campaign.

While President Barack Obama is sending between 30,000 and 35,000 more troops to Afghanistan in the coming year, there are ongoing concerns that the military campaign will be undercut unless Karzai regains the confidence of jaded Afghan citizens.

In a bid to address those concerns, Karzai opted to jettison the two most prominent ministers tainted by scandal.

He is replacing Muhammad Ibrahim Adel, the minister of mines who is being investigated for allegedly taking more than $20 million in bribes to help a Chinese firm win a lucrative contract, and Sadiq Chakari, the religious affairs minister who has denied allegations that he took part in a kickback scam involving Afghan pilgrims to Mecca.

Karzai may have won tentative backing from some Western leaders with his new cabinet choices, but his selections drew the ire of several Afghan lawmakers who are being asked to approve the list.

Khalid Pashtoon, a lawmaker from Afghanistan’s embattled Kandahar province, called the list unacceptable because it includes several ministers allied with powerful warlords.

“These ministers will work as puppets for these warlords,” said Pashtoon.

Perhaps the most controversial minister to be reappointed for second term was Ismail Khan, the conservative former guerilla leader who has been accused of human rights abuses.

Along with Khan, Karzai’s new team includes Vice President Marshal Mohammed Qasim Fahim, the Tajik warlord who has been accused of war crimes and suspected links to the Afghan drug trade.

Karzai also opted to delay naming a foreign minister until an after an international conference on Afghanistan in London at the end of January.

Fatima Aziz, a lawmaker from Kunduz, called the list a mixed bag and said that Karzai still faces competing pressures that will be difficult to balance.

“I don’t think that this will be a successful cabinet,” Aziz said. “Karzai is under pressure from the international community, warlords and other people who are trying to broker a deal.”

Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Afghanistan’s Karzai will reappoint most of his cabinetAfghanistan’s James Bond: suave killer who dries a Toyota CamryMcChrystal: Getting bin Laden key to defeating al QaidaPakistan split over U.S. demand for attack on Afghan TalibanFollow Afghanistan news at McClatchy's Checkpoint Kabul

(e-mail: dnissenbaum(at)mcclatchydc.com)

12-19-09 ja

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service