Fort Lewis soldier undeterred after near-fatal blast in Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Fort Lewis soldier undeterred after near-fatal blast in Iraq

Scott Fontaine - The News Tribune

January 03, 2010 11:58 AM

TALLIL, Iraq — Last year, Jed Berman noticed a piece of metal lodged under his left index finger, a remnant of the shrapnel that tore through his body during a roadside bomb attack in 2004.

The Fort Lewis soldier didn't tell anyone before he deployed; removing it would require yet another surgery, and he worried it would keep him home.

“I didn’t really want anyone to have an excuse to stamp me undeployable,” said Berman, a sergeant first class with the 201st Battlefield Surveillance Brigade. “I can’t help it. I’m a big meathead. I love what I do.”

Doctors cut the fragment out in October, shortly after he arrived at Contingency Operating Base Adder in southeastern Iraq to serve as the 201st Brigade’s intelligence section platoon sergeant. During an interview last week on the roof of his brigade’s headquarters building – in full view of the historic Ziggurat of Ur – the 36-year-old California native showed visitors the scars that run across his body from the near-fatal attack.

His reputation among fellow soldiers of the brigade seems equally hard-boiled.

“He won’t take any crap from anyone,” said Maj. Victoria Campbell, a DuPont resident serving as the brigade’s intelligence officer “If someone has the wrong answer on something, pretty much no matter who they are, he’ll tell them that.”

The 201st Battlefield Surveillance Brigade has about 1,000 soldiers working on intelligence operations throughout Iraq, and the brigade’s intel section operates as a fusion cell to analyze the reports coming in from across the country. About 300 soldiers serve in Tallil, with the rest scattered to about 38 locations across the country.

But it was during a deployment with Fort Lewis’ 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division when the bomb attack almost killed Berman.

Read the complete story at thenewstribune.com

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service