Taliban attackers strike heart of Afghanistan's capital | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Taliban attackers strike heart of Afghanistan's capital

Roy Gutman and Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

January 18, 2010 06:27 AM

GARDEZ, Afghanistan — Seven Taliban attackers, including a suicide bomber driving an ambulance, hit the center of Kabul on Monday morning, killing five people, wounding at least 71 and demonstrating their ability to strike at the hub of the U.S.-backed Afghan government.

Gen. Abdul Ghafar Sayed Zada, the head of the criminal investigative division of Kabul's police department, said that security forces had shot five of the attackers, who were armed with AK-47 rifles, rocket launchers and grenades, not far from President Hamid Karzai’s palace, the Ministry of Justice and the Central Bank in Afghanistan’s capital.

The attackers also struck a shopping mall near the presidential palace, setting the building on fire and causing civilian and security force casualties. Three security personnel were killed as they battled the attackers in or near the six-story Froshgha shopping mall, also known as the Grand Afghan Shopping Center. Two civilians also were killed, and the Health Ministry said that at least 71 people had been wounded in the attacks, including three dozen security officials.

In a scene shown on live television, all the mall's windows were blown out and smoke was pouring forth. Afghan army snipers took up positions on the roof of a nearby building.

Two of the dead were Kabul police officers, police said, and one was a member of Afghanistan's intelligence agency.

The Taliban claimed credit for the attacks, which came as Karzai is dueling with parliament over Cabinet appointments and as U.S., British and other officials explore possible paths toward a political settlement in Afghanistan, which almost inevitably would require persuading at least some elements of the Taliban to abandon their fight to restore their extreme brand of Islamic rule.

A U.S. intelligence official said Monday that two changes in the Taliban’s patterns — abandoning a traditional wintertime lull in fighting and carrying their attacks from the countryside into major cities — might be an effort to kill any attempt at reconciliation. The official spoke only on the condition of anonymity because intelligence matters are classified.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, in a statement on the Web site Alemarah, said that 20 of the militant Islamic group’s fighters had entered Kabul from different directions and had attacked the presidential palace, the Ministry of Mines and Industry, the Justice Ministry and the Government Management Department, as well as the Kabul Serena hotel and the Central Bank.

Not all these attacks took place, however. An official with the Kabul police said there were no attacks on the presidential palace or the Serena hotel, which was the scene of a massive Taliban assault in January 2008.

Another police official said the only place attacked was the Froshgha bazaar. Both police officials spoke only on the condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to talk to journalists.

The U.S.-led International Security Assistance Force said in a statement that Afghan police had secured all the roads in the vicinity of the fighting, and that they'd killed at least two armed insurgents in the building.

Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Afghan Parliament again blocks Karzai cabinet appointees

U.S. spending in Afghanistan plagued by poor U.S. oversight

Suicide attack reveals threat to Obama's Afghanistan plan

Follow Afghanistan news at Checkpoint Kabul

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Afghan Parliament again blocks Karzai cabinet appointees

January 16, 2010 01:53 PM

politics-government

U.S. spending in Afghanistan plagued by poor U.S. oversight

January 15, 2010 12:00 AM

world

Suicide attack reveals threat to Obama's Afghanistan plan

January 14, 2010 05:06 PM

world

U.S. turns to Afghan farmers to uproot insurgency

January 12, 2010 06:34 PM

HOMEPAGE

Checkpoint Kabul

January 01, 2010 08:04 AM

HOMEPAGE

Read our in-depth coverage of Pakistan and Afghanistan

May 11, 2009 07:46 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service