Pilot Thought He Was Under Fire When He Dropped Bomb on Canadian Soldiers | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Pilot Thought He Was Under Fire When He Dropped Bomb on Canadian Soldiers

Drew Brown - McClatchy Newspapers

April 19, 2002 02:05 PM

WASHINGTON -- The pilot of an American F-16 fighter jet thought he was under attack from ground fire when he dropped a 500-pound laser-guided bomb on a group of Canadian soldiers conducting a live-fire exercise in Afghanistan, killing four soldiers and wounding eight, Pentagon officials said Thursday.

"He reported being under fire from the ground," said a senior defense official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The jet was one of two Air National Guard F-16s that were on patrol over a training area at a former al Qaida base known as Turnak Farms, just south of the American-led coalition base at Kandahar airport when the incident occurred about 1:55 a.m. Thursday local Afghan time.

One of the pilots, apparently spotting tracer fire from the Canadian exercise on the ground below, radioed in that they were taking fire and released the bomb, officials said. It remains unclear if the pilot received permission to bomb, one official said. Normally, a pilot must receive clearance, but would not need permission if he felt in immediate danger."In an instance like this of self-defense, he has the right to drop on his own authority," the official said.

Among the wounded, two suffered life-threatening injuries but were in stable condition, Canadian officials said.

About 100 members of the 3rd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group were conducting fire and maneuver exercises on foot when the bomb struck. No American forces were involved in the exercise.

The 800-man battle group has been in Afghanistan since late January. The battalion had been used during the second half of Operation Anaconda to flush Taliban and al Qaida guerrillas out of the Shah-e-Kot mountains, said Maj. Bryan Hilferty, a U.S. military spokesman at Bagram air base, near Kabul.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld promised an investigation. Canadian Defense Minister Arthur Eggleton said in Ottawa that Canada would form its own board of inquiry, but that both sides had agreed to conduct a joint investigation.

Gen. Raymond Henault, chief of the Canadian Defense Staff, said the area was frequently used for live-fire exercises by all coalition forces, and that the Canadian exercise had taken place with proper coordination with the American chain of command at Kandahar airfield. Both officials said the investigation would review all aspects of the incident, including communication between ground and air forces.

"Whether or not the pilot had the authorization to drop or not is something that will come out in the fullness of the investigation," Henault said. "But I do remind you that any pilot, any individual who's operating in that theater of operations, whether land force member or air crew member, has the right of self-defense, and that is what always overrides anything else in this circumstance, which is a combat operation."

A second Pentagon official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, cautioned that the investigation was in preliminary stages and that information was sketchy.

A total of 41 American and coalition soldiers have died in Afghanistan or the surrounding region since the war began six months ago, according to U.S. Central Command, which has responsibility for running the war. Seven of them have died in "friendly fire" incidents, including the four Canadians.

On Dec. 5, three Americans and nine Afghans were killed, and more than three dozen others were wounded when an American B-52 accidentally bombed a Special Forces team supporting anti-Taliban fighters north of Kandahar.

The deaths Thursday were the first Canadian casualties in the war and the country's first combat deaths since the 1950-1953 Korean War.

Michael Zielenziger in Kabul, Afghanistan, contributed to this report.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service