Forces at Guantanamo readied to assist Haiti quake victims | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Forces at Guantanamo readied to assist Haiti quake victims

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

January 22, 2010 01:22 AM

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba -- A dirt lot behind the war court the Bush administration built is now a landing zone. If the Cuban government agrees, U.S. military helicopters could ferry relief supplies straight into Haiti, a 170-mile dash directly over Cuban soil.

Relief flights now land night and day at the base runway, cargo planes and helicopters shuttling between here, Port-au-Prince and a Navy armada helping Haiti from the sea.

Friday was meant to be a bittersweet date -- President Barack Obama's missed one-year deadline to empty the Pentagon prison camps of the last 195 or so war-on-terror captives. In its place, there was an air of elation and purpose that the military at Guantánamo was helping out in an unambiguously good assignment.

`GRATIFYING'

``You see the look, the smile on a parent's face if you ease the suffering of an injured child, that's more exhilarating at the moment than walking the block in a detention camp,'' said Rear Adm. Thomas Copeman, the prison camps' commander. ``Not to say that walking the block is not an extremely important mission for the United States. But probably not as gratifying as saving somebody's life.''

Helping Haiti is the latest assignment for this 45-square-mile outpost better known for the prison-camps controversies and the Hollywood hit, A Few Good Men, set in the Cold War. In that drama, the Cubans were the enemies across the 17.4-mile minefield that divides the two sides. This time, Havana swiftly approved medical evacuation flights straight through Cuban airspace to Miami for U.S. victims evacuated from Haiti.

Now, the Cuban government has provisionally approved U.S. military relief flights straight to Haiti rather than continue to zig-zag around Cuban soil, said Navy Capt. Steve Blaisdell, the base commander. The Federal Aviation Administration, he said, is ironing out the agreement.

``Clearly Haiti has eclipsed everything else in the short term,'' said Blaisdell, `` . . . independent of any other things that are swirling around.''

TENT CITY RISES

Meantime, a tent city that could house 12,000 or more migrants is slowly rising in case any Haitians are intercepted off their shore -- and can't be immediately repatriated. The Department of Homeland Security and a troop force from the U.S. Army South in San Antonio would handle an influx.

But, the U.S. Coast Guard says photos of Haitians taking to rafts so far are victims sailing away from the earthquake-stricken capitol for safe haven in rural portions of the country.

To keep it that way, the U.S. has sent the Navy -- a floating hospital, the USNS Comfort, and triage and treatment centers aboard the USS Bataan and carrier Carl Vinson, to handle casualties at sea, close to home, and stem an exodus. Here, troop rotations continue. But family visits are canceled to make space for troops and federal agents.

The prisoners, who are forbidden to speak to reporters, learned long ago from news reports that the closure deadline would be missed -- and, staff say, more recently saw protesters in orange jumpsuits from London to Washington condemn the United States as the prison camps entered their ninth year, on Jan. 11.

They learned of the earthquake in Haiti the same way and discovered live -- on al Jazeera's English-language network -- that Cuba was under a tsunami watch that included the clifftop prison camps on the Caribbean's edge.

``They asked, `Where's the manual? What are our instructions?,' '' said Zaki, a Muslim-American who acts as intermediary between the military and detainees as the prison camps' cultural advisor.

He predicted that the missed closure date would pass like any other Friday prayer day, because 70 percent of the captives live in communal, POW-style confinement and about half have received notice that they're cleared to leave -- once the United States negotiates their repatriations or new countries to settle them.

Moreover, he said, while some detainees were gleeful when they heard a Nigerian man tried to blow up an American passenger airliner on Christmas Day, they soon realized that failed underwear bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab's supposed links to a former detainee likely slowed any release plans underway.

``They constantly watch the news. They know more than I do,'' said Petty Officer Bradley Golden, 23, a southern Californian and Navy air traffic control specialist who does Camp 6 guard duty.

BUSINESS AS USUAL

For now, the prison camps are on a business-as-usual footing because Congress has so far thwarted the president's plan for closure with intelligence reporting requirements, blocked funding and a ban on most transfers to U.S. soil.

Civil liberties groups this week marked the missed closure with a series of protests and advertising campaigns.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

U.S. opens Haiti port as officials seek housing for survivors

January 22, 2010 01:31 AM

world

Tent city at Guantanamo set as precaution for Haitian refugees

January 21, 2010 08:07 AM

national

U.S.: 200,000 undocumented Haitians to seek legal status

January 20, 2010 08:11 PM

world

More U.S. troops to Haiti as new quake unnerves survivors

January 20, 2010 07:28 PM

world

U.S. military says violence in Haiti not disrupting aid mission

January 18, 2010 11:20 AM

world

Deep grief among the burdens of Haitian quake refugees

January 18, 2010 02:19 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service