U.S. will resume medevac flights from Haiti on Monday | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

U.S. will resume medevac flights from Haiti on Monday

Lesley Clark - McClatchy Newspapers

January 31, 2010 08:43 PM

WASHINGTON — Medical evacuation flights from Haiti are scheduled to resume early Monday, almost a week after they were suspended amid finger-pointing among state and federal officials and the military.

"Patients are being identified for transfer, doctors are making sure that it is safe for them to fly, and we are preparing specific in-flight pediatric care aboard the aircraft where needed,'' White House spokesman Tommy Vietor said Sunday evening.

He said the flights would resume by 5 a.m. Monday.

"Florida is identifying specific receiving facilities. . . .'' Vietor said. "We are working with the Haitian government and the international community to meet this urgent need and save lives.''

Obama administration officials said Saturday that the flights ceased Wednesday because of logistical challenges, not because of questions over who would pay the hospital bills in the United States, as the military had said earlier that day.

Almost all the patients had been sent to Florida hospitals, mostly in South Florida.

One surgeon in Haiti angrily predicted that 100 or his patients injured in the 7.0-magnitude earthquake Jan. 12 would die if military flights did not resume quickly.

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, speaking at an event Sunday at Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, said he would meet Monday afternoon with Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano to finalize the detail of who will pay the brunt of cost for the treatment of Haitian earthquake victims.

He said he continues to support the medical rescue of Haitians, and is "very proud of the contributions Florida has made to the crisis.''

Crist had been in talks with Napolitano and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius over the weekend to clear up questions of how the Haitians would be brought to the United States, where they would be treated and funding issues.

The Obama administration's announcement Sunday about the resumption of the flights came just hours after former Federal Emergency Management Director R. David Paulison -- who won praise for leading FEMA in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina -- said he was worried that the response in Haiti was too haphazard.

Paulison, who now works with the Command Consulting Group, which focuses on security issues, said the administration needed to act quickly or risk looking insensitive to the situation.

Paulison said he feared the American response to the disaster has been "a little timid."

"I would personally like to see the U.S. take a much larger role because of our relationship with Haiti,'' he said. "I do feel we have not taken the leadership role that this country could take. Neither has the United Nations put together an international coalition to run it.''

Vietor, the White House press secretary, said Sunday that U.S. personnel had treated almost 23,000 patients in Haiti and brought to the United States hundreds whose medical needs could not be met in Haiti.

"Given concerns about the strain on domestic health capacity,'' Vietor said, "we worked to increase cooperation with our international partners, [nongovernmental organizations] and states to expand access to additional facilities to care for Haitians who were gravely injured in the earthquake."

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

How to help Haiti

January 13, 2010 12:10 PM

HOMEPAGE

Read the Miami Herald's Haiti coverage here

January 13, 2010 11:33 AM

congress

Who could oppose helping Haiti? Turns out Ron Paul could

January 31, 2010 09:59 PM

world

Haiti quake victims stranded as U.S. medical airlift stalls

January 31, 2010 12:51 AM

world

In Haiti, body hunters seek to unite the living with the dead

January 30, 2010 04:57 PM

politics-government

Haiti's response to earthquake displeases Haitian-Americans

January 28, 2010 07:09 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service