Final year of term becomes defining one for Haiti's Preval | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Final year of term becomes defining one for Haiti's Preval

Jacqueline Charles - Miami Herald

February 02, 2010 01:44 AM

Rene Preval had hoped the defining moment of his five-year reign over the crippled nation of Haiti would be this: building new roads, creating a stronger government and stabilizing the political landscape.

But in the aftermath of last month's earthquake, his moment is now, as he seeks to lead Haiti out of its most daunting disaster before his presidential terms ends Feb. 7, 2011.

Since his 2006 election, his second as the country's president, Haiti has gone from one disaster to another — armed gangs, food riots that collapsed the government and back-to-back hurricanes.

"Four years, four major disasters. It has been an extremely challenging mandate," he told The Miami Herald last week during a rare, up-close look at the president at work.

Until the earthquake, Preval, 67, governed deliberately, sequentially, from behind the scenes, focusing on one issue at a time to the exclusion of everything else. Now the micro-manager has been forced to multi-task.

Along with leaving an estimated 200,000 Haitians dead, and a capital buried underneath 60 million cubic meters of rubble, the catastrophe is triggering questions about the future of Haiti, the role of the international community and Preval's ability to influence the country's reconstruction.

Adding to the doubts is Preval's own reluctance to become the public symbol in the midst of Haiti's biggest disaster.

"The earthquake has changed everything," said Robert Fatton, a Haiti expert at the University of Virginia. "There is a pre-Jan. 12 and post-Jan. 12 scene. No one knows what is going to happen, except that he should try to manage it in a constructive way. They need to do it quickly before events start to take a force of their own."

Last week, Preval announced that the critical Feb. 28 legislative elections are indefinitely postponed. That means Haiti may be unable to pass new laws. It also ends Preval's quest to see constitutional reform before he leaves office.

"His term is going to be over soon," Fatton said. "The question is how does he exit? The only way . . . is as the guy who left a consensus on the mechanism of reconstruction at the moment."

Preval says he wants elections to enhance "political stability," his rallying cry. For now, though, he's shunning talk of politics for a singular focus on jobs, roads and employment.

"I am not interested in a political career. I am interested in managing a country," he said.

Read more at MiamiHerald.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

How to help Haiti

January 13, 2010 12:10 PM

HOMEPAGE

Photos of devastation in Haiti from The Miami Herald

January 13, 2010 11:55 AM

HOMEPAGE

Read the Miami Herald's Haiti coverage here

January 13, 2010 11:33 AM

world

U.S. will resume medevac flights from Haiti on Monday

January 31, 2010 08:43 PM

congress

Who could oppose helping Haiti? Turns out Ron Paul could

January 31, 2010 09:59 PM

world

Haiti quake victims stranded as U.S. medical airlift stalls

January 31, 2010 12:51 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service