Report: 'No strategic value' to Afghan outpost where 8 died | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Report: 'No strategic value' to Afghan outpost where 8 died

John Walcott and Jonathan S. Landay - McClatchy Newspapers

February 05, 2010 03:40 PM

WASHINGTON — A U.S. military investigation into a battle last October in eastern Afghanistan that cost eight American soldiers their lives has concluded that the small outpost was worthless, the troops there didn't understand their mission, and intelligence and air support were tied up elsewhere in the province.

According to an unclassified executive summary of the report that was released to McClatchy and other news organizations Friday, "There were inadequate measures taken by the chain of command, resulting in an attractive target for enemy fighters."

A statement accompanying the summary said that the report, called an AR 15-6, suggests sanctions on higher-ranking officers and "also recommended administrative actions for some members of the chain of command to improve command oversight."

The investigation found that the soldiers of Bravo Troop, 3rd Squadron of the 61st Cavalry Regiment from Fort Carson, Colo., "repelled an enemy force of 300 anti-Afghan forces (AAF) fighters, preserving their combat outpost and killing approximately 150 of the enemy fighters. U.S. forces sustained eight killed in action and 22 wounded, all but three of whom returned to duty after the attack. The soldiers distinguished themselves with conspicuous gallantry, courage and bravery under the heavy enemy fire that surrounded them."

The report also says, however, that Combat Outpost Keating was located "deep in a bowl in Nuristan province, surrounded by high ground," with limited protection from one observation post. By mid-2009, the report says, "there was no tactical or strategic value to holding the ground occupied by COP Keating," which had been established to support a provincial political and economic reconstruction effort that never materialized.

As a result, the report says, "the chain of command decided to close the remote outpost as soon as it could." The closure was delayed, however, when the manpower and equipment needed to shut the base — as well as aerial drones and other reconnaissance equipment — were diverted to support a military operation in Barg-e-Matal, a village elsewhere in Nuristan where U.S. forces held off surrounding insurgents for months.

"The delayed closing of COP Keating is important as it contributed to a mindset of imminent closure that served to impede improvements in force protection on the COP," the report says.

"Compounding the situation . . . intelligence assessments became desensitized to enemy actions over several months," the report says, as insurgents launched about 47 limited attacks on the outpost after appearing to mass for larger assaults. "Owing to this experience with the enemy in vicinity of COP Keating, the perception prevailed that reports of massing enemy forces were exaggerated and improbable," the report says.

At about 6 a.m. on Oct. 3, 2009, insurgents attacked the outpost and the outlying observation post in force from the surrounding high ground. The attackers were armed with detailed intelligence they'd collected on how the base operated and where its weapons, generator, barracks and other key elements were.

After Afghan National Army soldiers "failed to hold their position," insurgents seized the local Afghan National Police station, and enemy fighters penetrated the outpost's perimeter in three places and destroyed the base generator.

When U.S. Air Force jets and U.S. Army AH-64 Apache attack helicopters, which had been at least 45 minutes away, finally arrived, Bravo Troop's junior officers and noncommissioned officers regained the initiative and retook control of the outpost.

In the following days, the soldiers withdrew from the outpost, and on Oct. 6 U.S. forces destroyed what remained of it "to prevent enemy use," the report concludes.

ON THE WEB

Unclassified executive summary of the report

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Obama attends service for 7 CIA workers killed in Afghanistan

U.S. plan to win Afghanistan tribe by tribe is risky

New U.S. air strategy in Afghanistan: First, do no harm

Suicide attack reveals threat to Obama's Afghanistan plan

Deadly Afghan ambush shows perils of ill-supplied deployment

Follow national security news at McClatchy's Nukes & Spooks

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Why are U.S., allies telling Taliban about coming offensive?

February 05, 2010 07:40 PM

politics-government

Obama tells CIA 'win this war' at service for 7 killed in Afghanistan

February 05, 2010 11:17 AM

world

U.S. plan to win Afghanistan tribe by tribe is risky

February 04, 2010 01:49 PM

world

Afghan government pursues talks with Taliban leaders

February 01, 2010 03:58 PM

world

New U.S. air strategy in Afghanistan: First, do no harm

January 29, 2010 05:23 PM

politics-government

Report slams U.S. for building power plant Afghans can't run

January 20, 2010 11:58 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service