Iraq orders 200 current, former Blackwater employees to leave | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Iraq orders 200 current, former Blackwater employees to leave

Jane Arraf and Warren P. Strobel - Christian Science Monitor and McClatchy

February 10, 2010 08:31 PM

BAGHDAD — Iraq has ordered more than 200 current and former employees of the private security company formerly known as Blackwater, which still plays a role in guarding U.S. diplomats, to leave the country within the next four days.

Interior Minister Jawad al Bolani told the Associated Press that the order is directed at security contractors who worked for Blackwater in the fall of 2007, when a security detail protecting an American convoy opened fire on a crowded square, killing 17 Iraqi civilians. The company, based in Moyock, N.C., has since changed its name to Xe.

A senior State Department official in Washington said the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad had been formally notified of the Iraqi Interior Ministry's decision.

"We will discuss this with the Iraqi government," said the official, who requested anonymity because of the issue's sensitivity. "None of the former Blackwater employees now providing aviation services as part of the new contract (for U.S. diplomats' security) were involved in the Nisour Square incident."

The State Department no longer has contracts in Iraq with Xe or its air services arm, Presidential Airways. A contract with Presidential Airways ended on Jan. 3.

The move follows Prime Minister Nouri al Malaki's promises to families of the victims that his government would seek justice after a U.S. court on Dec. 31 dismissed manslaughter charges against five former Blackwater security guards. It also follows the kidnapping of an Iraqi-American military contractor in Baghdad, who appeared in a video this week by a radical Iranian-backed group calling for the conviction of Blackwater employees.

Bolani said the Blackwater personnel were notified three days ago of the order, which gave them a week to leave or have their authorization to remain in the country revoked.

Many former Blackwater employees, who had provided diplomatic security for senior U.S. State Department staff and operated the U.S. Embassy's helicopter services, have remained in the country under other contracts after the Iraqi government banned Blackwater from operating here.

U.S. officials had previously said that movements of diplomats, already severely restricted due to security fears, would be even more curtailed if former Blackwater guards were removed from duty.

Vice President Joe Biden, in a visit to Baghdad in January, expressed personal regret over the Sept. 16, 2007, incident. He said the U.S. would appeal the court decision that dismissed manslaughter charges against the five former Blackwater guards.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.S. blames al Qaida in Iraq for Baghdad bombing spree

For second day in a row, Baghdad is bombed; 18 dead

30 dead as Iraq bombs target hotels popular with Westerners

Can a city awash in guns, grenades and explosives ever be safe?

Deadly bombings strike Iraqi holy city of Najaf

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Judge dismisses charges in Blackwater shooting of 17 Iraqis

December 31, 2009 05:46 PM

world

Bombing of Shiite pilgrimage bodes more Iraqi violence

February 05, 2010 11:43 AM

world

U.S. blames al Qaida in Iraq for Baghdad bombing spree

January 26, 2010 03:32 PM

world

Iraqi father vows to pursue U.S. lawsuit against Blackwater

January 30, 2010 08:56 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service