In Haiti, shortage of toilets has officials concerned about spread of diseases | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

In Haiti, shortage of toilets has officials concerned about spread of diseases

Patricia Mazzei - The Miami Herald

February 24, 2010 07:12 AM

The stench of human waste permeates the air around the crude shelters made of sticks and sheets.

There are nowhere near enough toilets — portables, latrines or any other kind — for the tens of thousands living in the camps in and around Port-au-Prince.

The squalid conditions have government and relief workers worried about a potential outbreak of deadly diseases, such as diarrhea, spread by unsanitary conditions. And relief agencies scrambling to install toilets are still figuring out how to later dispose of their waste.

"Where people are living, that's where they're defecating," said Lucienne Estimé, 49, who has organized volunteers at a Cité Soleil camp to sweep some of the trash -- if not the human waste -- away from tents and tarps and closer to the street.

"We pile it up and burn it because we don't have a place to throw it or trucks to pick it up," said Louisena Michelle, 30, one of the sweepers.

The camp at the site of the collapsed Saint-Louis de Gonzague school in Delmas had one portable toilet for some 10,000 people, residents said, until three latrines enclosed by white sheets went up last week.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Senator: U.S. says Haiti will release last two missionaries

February 23, 2010 04:58 PM

world

In Haiti, political solidarity showing some cracks

February 22, 2010 07:00 AM

world

Haiti struggling to keep up with newborns

February 19, 2010 07:15 AM

world

Mexico's recovery from 1985 quake could be model for rebuilding Haiti

February 17, 2010 01:36 PM

world

Haiti's earthquake was more damaging than Southeast Asia tsunami, study finds

February 17, 2010 07:02 AM

world

Haitian government worries temporary housing may become permanent slums

February 04, 2010 07:10 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service