Haitian judge finds 'no criminal grounds' for case against detained Americans | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Haitian judge finds 'no criminal grounds' for case against detained Americans

Katy Moeler - Idaho Statesman

February 24, 2010 03:44 PM

"I think when I see pictures of them being released, I will breathe the biggest sigh of relief," said Kim Barton, sister of Boisean Laura Silsby, on Tuesday. "We're just excited for them to be home."

Silsby, 40, and her nanny, Charisa Coulter, 24, are the last two of 10 Americans detained on kidnapping charges in Haiti since Jan. 29. The other eight were released last week, while the judge kept Silsby and Coulter to ask about their plans to move Haitian children to an orphanage in the Dominican Republic.

"We believe their release is imminent, but we try not to put too much faith in what we read and hear because we've been on this rollercoaster ride for better than three weeks now," said Coulter's father, Mel Coulter. "We're sure praying that this week is the week."

Judge Bernard Saint-Vil told Reuters Tuesday that the case would be over this week.

A spokesman in U.S. Sen. Jim Risch's office said Tuesday that State Department officials had confirmed that the two will be released later this week.

Read the complete story at idahostatesman.com

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service