Hunger striker in Cuba loses consciousness, is hospitalized | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Hunger striker in Cuba loses consciousness, is hospitalized

Juan O. Tamayo - Miami Herald

March 03, 2010 08:13 PM

Cuban dissident Guillermo Farinas, who has been refusing food and water for a week, lost consciousness and was rushed to a hospital Wednesday morning, one of his supporters reported.

Fariñas was in his home in Santa Clara, praying with visiting supporters, when he "suffered a strong pain in his chest and lost consciousness,'' said Licet Zamora Carrandi, who described herself as a spokeswoman.

"Several people rushed into the street, flagged down a car and took him to the hospital,'' Zamora said. Fariñas was still unconscious when he was put aboard the car, she added.

There was no immediate word on his status at the hospital, Zamora said by phone from Fariñas' home.

Ismel Iglesias, a dissident physician who checked on Fariñas, believed the loss of consciousness was the result of low blood sugar, she added.

Fariñas was one of five Cuban dissidents -- the other four are in prison -- who launched hunger strikes last week to protest the death of jailed hunger striker Orlando Zapata and demand the release of all political prisoners. Fariñas also has called for the release of some two dozen political prisoners reported to be in ill health,

The 48-year-old psychologist and independent journalist also has stopped drinking water despite his poor health as a result of more than 20 previous hunger strikes.

Read the full story at MiamiHerald.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

congress

Efforts to engage Cuba founder over death of dissident

March 01, 2010 05:17 AM

world

Raul Castro calls Zapata Tamayo's hunger strike death 'lamentable'

February 25, 2010 06:55 AM

world

Cuban dissident Zapata Tamayo dies in prison during hunger strike

February 24, 2010 07:04 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service