Pentagon bans McClatchy reporter from Guantanamo hearings | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Pentagon bans McClatchy reporter from Guantanamo hearings

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

May 06, 2010 08:59 PM

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon Thursday banned four reporters, including one from McClatchy Newspapers, from covering future military commissions at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, charging that they'd violated ground rules by publishing the name of a former Army interrogator who was a witness at a hearing there this week.

The news organizations — McClatchy, the Toronto Star, the Toronto Globe and Mail and CanWest Newspapers of Canada — said they'd appeal the Pentagon's decision and that their reporters hadn't violated the ground rules.

Col. David Lapan, the director of Defense Press Operations, said the ban affects only the individual reporters and that their organizations would be allowed to send others to future hearings. The banned reporters were Carol Rosenberg of McClatchy's Miami Herald, Michelle Shephard of the Toronto Star, Paul Koring of Toronto's Globe and Mail and Steven Edwards of CanWest Newspapers.

"We have been covering Guantanamo for years and we've always played by the rules — and we did in this case as well," said Mindy Marques, the managing editor of the Miami Herald. "We expect to sort this out and continue to cover this important story, as we have always done."

At issue were news articles earlier this week that identified a witness at a hearing for Canadian detainee Omar Khadr as former Army Sgt. Joshua Claus. The Pentagon had asked reporters to identify him as Interrogator No. 1.

Claus has been the subject of news stories since 2005, when he was convicted by a U.S. military court martial of abusing detainees at Bagram Air Field in Afghanistan in 2002, a conviction that earned him a five-month prison term.

He was first publicly identified as Khadr's interrogator on March 13, 2008, during a hearing at Guantanamo. He subsequently gave an on-the-record interview to Shephard of the Toronto Star, one of the banned reporters, where he asserted that he'd never abused Khadr, who was 15 years old when he was taken captive by U.S. troops in Afghanistan in 2002.

"That reporters are being punished for disclosing information that has been publicly available for years is nothing short of absurd — any gag order that covers this kind of information is not just overbroad but nonsensical," Jameel Jaffer, the deputy legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union, said in a statement. "Plainly, no legitimate government interest is served by suppressing information that is already well known."

Joel Simon, the executive director the Committee to Protect Journalists, called the bans part of "a long history of lack of access for journalists covering military tribunals and other events at Guantanamo Bay."

"This certainly is a very drastic step," he said.

On Wednesday, the judge in the case, Col. Patrick Parrish, reminded reporters that even though Claus' name was public, a protective order intended to keep him anonymous applied to journalists as well.

Rosenberg's report that day included the following sentences: "Canadian reports have identified that interrogator as Army Sgt. Joshua Claus, who pleaded guilty in September 2005 to mistreatment and assault of detainees at Bagram. He was sentenced to five months in jail."

Rosenberg said her story was filed before the judge's warning. She said Claus' name had already been revealed.

"All I did was report what was in the public domain," Rosenberg said.

"I am disappointed because I did not violate the ground rules," Rosenberg said. "I am also surprised because we heard nothing about this, and the ban was issued nearly 24 hours after the piece first appeared."

Pentagon officials said it didn't matter that Claus' name was already widely known.

"If his name was out there, it was not related to this hearing. Identifying him with Interrogator No. 1 was the problem," Lapan said.

"The judge shouldn't have had to remind them. The stories that appeared before violated the rules."

Before covering a military commission at Guantanamo Bay, reporters must agree to several ground rules about what they can publish and what they must withhold from the public.

In addition to the judge's reminder, Lapan said the reporters received a written copy of the ground rules upon their arrival at Guantanamo on April 26.

The banned reporters are among the most seasoned on military tribunals and the Khadr case. Rosenberg is the longest-serving reporter at the American detention center and has covered every hearing of a military commission, with the exception of one week, since the proceedings began in 2004.

Shephard published a book about the Khadr case. Koring and Edwards have consistently followed Khadr's case for their news organizations.

"We strongly disagree with the Pentagon's interpretation of its own rules, and intend to fight the ban as a matter of Canadian public interest in these hearings," said John Stackhouse, the Globe and Mail's editor in chief. "The name in question was a matter of public record. Banning the information now — when it is already known around the world — serves no apparent purpose other than to raise more questions about the credibility of the Guantanamo courts."

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Interrogator says Khadr was told he'd likely be raped in U.S.

Guantanamo hearing: Ex interrogator felt sorry for Khadr

U.S. abuse of detainees was routine at Afghanistan bases

Medic at Guantanamo hearing says Khadr chained to door

Changes to key Guantanamo evidence innocent, officer says

Guantanamao court cleared to screen 'secret' YouTube video

U.S. attorney Bush fired now a Guantanamo prosecutor

Follow Carol Rosenberg's Guantanamo reports on Twitter

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Special report: 'Guantanamo: Beyond the Law'

May 21, 2009 12:47 PM

HOMEPAGE

Guantanamo Bay Detainee Litigation ruling at FindLaw.com

May 20, 2009 02:39 PM

HOMEPAGE

After Guantanamo

May 04, 2009 11:07 AM

HOMEPAGE

More Guantanamo coverage from the Miami Herald

May 01, 2009 08:16 PM

World

Toronto Star's 2008 on-the-record interview with Interrogator No. 1

May 06, 2010 01:55 PM

news

Earlier coverage of Interrogator No. 1

May 06, 2010 01:53 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service