Guantanamo detainee Khadr's trial date set for August | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Guantanamo detainee Khadr's trial date set for August

Carol Rosenberg - The Miami Herald

May 12, 2010 06:59 AM

A military judge on Tuesday set Aug. 10 for the opening of Canadian Omar Khadr's terror trial at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Army Col. Patrick Parrish issued the new date in a scheduling order to attorneys and "other interested parties" in the case of the Toronto-born captive who has spent a third of his life in the prison camps on suspicion he was a teen terrorist and murder.

Defense lawyers want all of Khadr's statements to U.S. and Canadian investigators excluded from the summer trial, arguing that he was involuntarily interrogated at age 15 and 16 in Afghanistan and Guantanamo.

Khadr, now 23, was captured critically wounded in a July 2002 U.S. Special Forces raid on a suspected al Qaida safehouse near Khost, Afghanistan, in which Army Sgt. 1st Class Christopher Speer, 28, was fatally wounded by a grenade. Pentagon prosecutors alleged Khadr, 15 at the time, threw it.

Parrish, the judge on Khadr's military commission hearing, said in his single-page order that the suppression hearings in the case would resume July 12, potentially with mental health witnesses. The hearing was suspended last week after eight days to give Pentagon officials time to submit Khadr, held at Guantanamo since October 2002, to a mental health exam.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

See the images of Guantanamo detainees at The Miami Herald

January 11, 2010 07:07 AM

HOMEPAGE

Special report: 'Guantanamo: Beyond the Law'

May 21, 2009 12:47 PM

HOMEPAGE

After Guantanamo

May 04, 2009 11:07 AM

HOMEPAGE

More Guantanamo coverage from the Miami Herald

May 01, 2009 08:16 PM

latest-news

Khadr's motion to supress

April 27, 2010 02:14 PM

HOMEPAGE

Interogator No. 1's sworn statement in investigaton of detainee abuse

May 06, 2010 01:35 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service