42 new Cuba travel services approved by Obama administration | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

42 new Cuba travel services approved by Obama administration

Juan O. Tamayo - The Miami Herald

May 20, 2010 12:28 PM

The U.S. agency that enforces Cuba sanctions approved 42 new travel and other service providers this year, compared to none in 2009, in what government officials described as a push sparked by changes in the Obama administration policy and the bureaucracy.

The Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) also updated its list of "authorized providers of air, travel and remittance forwarding services to Cuba" four times this year, compared to twice in 2009 and just once in 2008.

The increases were driven both by President Barack Obama's change in policy to allow more U.S. travel to Cuba and OFAC's effort to clear up a backlog of applications for new licenses that had been pending for several months, said one knowledgeable U.S. official.

Obama lifted virtually all restrictions on Cuban Americans' travel to the island last year, overturning a Bush administration ruling that had limited their trips to once every three years.

"It's a little bit of both, policy and bureaucracy," said the official, who asked for anonymity to speak candidly about the changes. "The people at OFAC had been spending a lot of time [monitoring] the family travel" under the previous administration.

"Not only is this good for people who have been waiting for years to open their businesses, but it allows the U.S. government to address more pressing matters that affect the entire nation," said Vivian Mannerud, president of the Miami-based Airline Brokers Co.

OFAC reports showed the agency issued 11 "new approvals" on March 8, March 24 and March 31, two on April 19 and five on its latest update of the list, issued May 14, which now lists 224 companies licensed to offer travel and remittance services to Cuba.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

GOP seeks to block Obama nominee to El Salvador post over Cuban romance

May 09, 2010 06:11 AM

world

Cuba spies cooperating with U.S. authorities, officials say

April 27, 2010 04:18 PM

world

Reagan-era accord with Cuba sends some Mariel Cubans home

April 26, 2010 06:54 AM

HOMEPAGE

U.S. GAO report - U.S. Embargo on Cuba

October 02, 2009 07:58 AM

HOMEPAGE

History of Cuba Travel Restrictions

April 14, 2009 10:55 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service