U.S. urges Haiti's Preval to schedule elections | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

U.S. urges Haiti's Preval to schedule elections

Jacqueline Charles - The Miami Herald

June 10, 2010 07:08 AM

Haitian President Rene Preval is being urged to move faster to schedule presidential and parliamentary elections in quake-battered Haiti or risk losing the confidence of the U.S. Congress.

The warning comes from an influential member of Congress, who in an eight-page report obtained by The Miami Herald calls for Preval -- whose presidential mandate ends in 2011 -- to "issue the appropriate decree establishing an official date for presidential and parliamentary elections, without delay."

"Our government is sympathetic to the plight of Haitians, as demonstrated by the assistance our military, diplomats and development experts provided in the wake of the disaster," Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., ranking member of the powerful Foreign Relations Committee, said. "But the positive effect of assistance programs will be limited if Haiti lacks a responsible, popularly-elected government."

Preval has repeatedly expressed his desire to hold elections, telling Haitians as recently as last week during an appearance in the Dominican Republic to prepare to go to the polls. And while he has been reluctant to announce a formal date, his advisors told The Miami Herald that a presidential decree authorizing the Provisional Electoral Council (CEP) to schedule the elections for Nov. 28 is currently under review and should be published in the coming days.

The report calls on Preval and his government to show "strong leadership" on the matter of elections and recommends that the U.S. State Department ask him to issue the presidential decree "in earnest" and restructure the membership of Haiti's beleaguered CEP in consultation with the international partners in a way that "demonstrates a clear political commitment to contesting credible elections."

The State Department is also being urged to ask donors to disburse a portion of the estimated $38 million needed to hold elections as soon as Preval issues the decree. The State Department also is being asked "to seek an agreement with the CEP and all political parties, including factions of Fanmi Lavalas, to ensure that the parties meet the CEP's legal requirements and are not excluded from elections because of perceived technicalities."

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Haiti's elderly earthquake victims are overlooked, say aid workers

May 25, 2010 06:46 AM

world

U.S. companies work on Haiti's recovery without contracts, hoping for payoff

May 21, 2010 07:06 AM

world

Sean Penn tells Congress: Haiti needs urgent aid

May 19, 2010 06:35 PM

world

Haiti's mango industry struggles to make a comeback

May 19, 2010 06:58 AM

HOMEPAGE

Read the Miami Herald's Haiti coverage here

January 13, 2010 11:33 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service