McChrystal: Kandahar operation 'will happen more slowly' | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

McChrystal: Kandahar operation 'will happen more slowly'

Dion Nissenbaum and Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

June 10, 2010 04:27 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Amid a spike in Afghan and American deaths in southern Afghanistan, U.S. Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the top NATO commander in the country, conceded Thursday that the military push to secure the Taliban's spiritual capital will take longer than anticipated.

As McClatchy reported last month, a series of obstacles has slowed the opening stages of the highly anticipated summer offensive to defeat Islamic militants and bolster the Afghan government in Kandahar province.

A Taliban intimidation campaign has undermined the American-led effort to build a functional Kandahar government. Afghan security forces are taking longer than planned to prepare for the summer campaign. The Afghan government's efforts to install respected local leaders have lagged, and U.S. Marines in neighboring Helmand province have yet to gain the upper hand against resurgent Taliban fighters.

On Thursday, McChrystal, the head of U.S.-led military forces in Afghanistan, said the high-profile Kandahar operations, which once were expected to produce significant results by mid-August, would now continue well into the fall — and beyond.

"I do think that it will happen more slowly than we had originally intended," McChrystal told reporters while visiting Brussels for a meeting of NATO leaders. "But I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I think it's more important we get it right than we get it fast."

McChrystal said that "more prep" would have helped the U.S.-led military to transform the Taliban sanctuary of Marjah more quickly into a model for his counterinsurgency strategy.

"As we did it, we found that it's even more complex than we thought, and so we need to educate ourselves from that and do it even better in Kandahar," McChrystal said.

McChrystal's comments came three weeks after he warned American and British strategists in Helmand province that Marjah was becoming a "bleeding ulcer" that needed immediate attention.

After McClatchy reported that, an allied military spokesman in Afghanistan claimed that McChrystal had been misinterpreted and said: "The essence of the comment is not that Marjah itself is going badly . . . it's largely on track. It's that it's misperceived as going badly."

The challenges facing McChrystal in Kandahar were evident Thursday as Afghan families began burying more than 40 men and boys who were killed by a suicide bomber who targeted a wedding party Wednesday night in the province's Arghandab district.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai denounced the attack as a "crime of massive, inhuman proportions."

"Weddings all over the world are not only good occasions but occasions of sanctity," Karzai said during a joint press conference with British Prime Minister David Cameron, who was making his first visit to Afghanistan since taking office. "For a suicide bomber to go and kill is not only against Islam, it is an act against the whole of humanity."

Survivors of the attack accused the Taliban of dispatching the suicide bomber because the groom was an Afghan police officer and member of a local militia that battled Taliban fighters earlier this week.

The Taliban condemned the attack and denied responsibility.

June has also proved to be a deadly month for the U.S.-led military in Afghanistan. At least 30 coalition troops have been killed this month, most of them in the past week.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.S. efforts in Kandahar, barely begun, already are faltering

McChrystal calls Marjah a 'bleeding ulcer' in Afghan campaign

U.S. embrace of Karzai's brother disappoints many Afghans

Murders rattle Kandahar, thwart drive to restore government

Pentagon rethinking value of major counter-insurgencies

Follow Afghanistan developments at McClatchy's Checkpoint Kabul

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Read our in-depth coverage of Pakistan and Afghanistan

May 11, 2009 07:46 AM

HOMEPAGE

Checkpoint Kabul

January 01, 2010 08:04 AM

world

Afghan president Karzai ousts 2 top pro-Western ministers

June 06, 2010 05:50 PM

world

Afghan delegates back peace talks with Taliban

June 04, 2010 04:32 PM

world

Afghan president Karzai to open assembly on peace

June 01, 2010 04:18 PM

world

Taliban seize border town as Afghan forces retreat

May 29, 2010 04:34 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service