Church brokers deal to release Cuban political prisoners | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Church brokers deal to release Cuban political prisoners

Juan O. Tamayo - Miami Herald

July 08, 2010 07:22 AM

Cuba will free 52 political prisoners and allow them to leave the island, Roman Catholic church officials announced Wednesday in a surprising concession that would be the largest release of jailed dissidents in more than a decade.

The announcement came after the latest round of unprecedented talks between Cuban ruler Raul Castro and Havana Cardinal Jaime Ortega on the island's estimated 167 political prisoners and broader human rights issues.

Ortega was told five prisoners would be freed Wednesday, and have permission to leave soon for Spain, and another 47 would be released over the next three to four months, Havana archbishopric spokesman Orlando Marquez wrote in a statement.

The 52 were the last of the 75 dissidents arrested in Cuba's "Black Spring" crackdown in 2003 still in prison, Marquez wrote. The 75 were sentenced to prison terms of up to 28 years after one- and two-day trials on charges of conspiring with Washington. Two dozen were previously released for health reasons.

Cuba has been under withering criticisms for human rights abuses since the Feb. 23 death of political prisoner Orlando Zapata after a lengthy hunger strike and harassments of the Ladies in White — female relatives of the 75 — by pro-government mobs.

The announced releases drew cautiously optimistic comments from the Ladies in White as well as the Obama administration and the European Union, which have been urging Cuba to clean up its human rights record if it wants to clear the way for improved diplomatic relations.

Read the full story on MiamiHerald.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

More Cuban political prisoners refusing food in hunger strikes

June 16, 2010 07:28 AM

world

Raul Castro's meeting with Catholic church marks a political shift in Cuba

May 25, 2010 06:59 AM

world

Cuba's 'Ladies in White' denied opportunity to protest again

April 19, 2010 07:03 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service