Marine who dismissed charges in Iraqi civilian deaths to lead Centcom | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Marine who dismissed charges in Iraqi civilian deaths to lead Centcom

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

July 08, 2010 07:56 PM

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon Thursday nominated Marine Corps Gen. James Mattis to head up the U.S. Central Command, the final personnel change in a shake-up brought about by the dismissal of former Afghanistan commander Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal.

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates nominated Mattis to replace Gen. David Petraeus as the head the command responsible for the Middle East and parts of Southeast Asia.

Last month, President Barack Obama named Petraeus as the Afghanistan commander after relieving McChrystal of command over derogatory remarks he and his staff made about top civilian leaders that appeared in a Rolling Stone magazine article.

Mattis, currently the head of U.S. Joint Forces Command in Norfolk, Va., is a counterinsurgency expert who led the U.S. assault on the Iraqi city of Fallujah in 2004.

A popular general among Marines, Mattis is well known for blunt and sometimes inappropriate comments, making his nomination surprising to some given the reason for McChrystal's firing.

In 2005, Mattis told a crowd in San Diego that "Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight," he said. "You know, it's a hell of a hoot. . . . It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right up front with you. I like brawling."

The audience laughed, but the Pentagon didn't. His superiors reprimanded him.

On Thursday, Gates said he was unconcerned about comments made five years ago and that Mattis has matured as a commander.

"I have every confidence that Gen. Mattis will respond to questions and speak publicly about the matters for which he is responsible in an entirely appropriate way," Gates said.

Mattis may also come under scrutiny during his Senate confirmation for the way he handled charges against eight Marines for the November 2005 killing of 24 Iraqi civilians in the Iraqi city of Haditha, especially since one of the key strategies of current U.S. policy in Afghanistan is to reduce civilian casualties.

The Marines at Haditha killed the Iraqis in their homes, including women and children, in what survivors described as an indiscriminate shooting spree after a fellow Marine was killed by a roadside bomb. A military investigation found that none of the dead were insurgents or had threatened the troops.

As head of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Pendleton, Calif., however, Mattis dismissed many of the charges. One Marine, Staff Sgt. Frank Wuterich, is still to be tried, with that proceeding set to begin Sept. 13.

In writing his reasons for dropping unpremeditated murder charges against one of the Marines, Lance Cpl. Justin I. Sharratt, Mattis said that brutality, including the death of innocents, is a part of war.

"The experience of combat is difficult to understand intellectually and very difficult to appreciate emotionally." Mattis wrote. "With the dismissal of these charges LCpl Sharratt may fairly conclude that he did his best to live up to the standards, followed by U.S. fighting men throughout our many wars, in the face of life or death decisions made in a matter of seconds in combat. And as he has always remained cloaked in the presumption of innocence, with this dismissal of charges, he remains in the eyes of the law — and in my eyes — innocent."

Until the announcement, Mattis had been expected to retire after he was passed over for Marine Corps Commander for Gen. James Amos. However, the McChrystal shake-up opened up the post for Mattis.

ON THE WEB

Watch video of Mattis' 2005 comments

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

3 U.S. commanders relieved of duty as Iraqi town mourns its dead

Haditha victims' kin outraged as Marines go free

McChrystal's recall culminates months of tensions with White House

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Haditha victims' kin outraged as Marines go free

June 21, 2008 03:38 PM

latest-news

Marines charged with murder in deaths of Iraqi civilians

December 21, 2006 03:00 AM

latest-news

Pentagon report said to find killing of Iraqi civilians deliberate

May 17, 2006 03:00 AM

latest-news

3 U.S. commanders relieved of duty as Iraqi town mourns its dead

April 08, 2006 03:00 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service