Guantanamo detainee Khadr rejects U.S. plea deal | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Guantanamo detainee Khadr rejects U.S. plea deal

Carol Rosenberg - The Miami Herald

July 13, 2010 07:15 AM

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba — Alleged ex-teen terrorist Omar Khadr said Monday he rejected a U.S. deal that offered him a "Get out of Guantanamo card" in five years if he admitted to committing war crimes in Afghanistan as a 15-year-old.

"I will not take any plea offer because it will give excuse to the government for torturing and abusing me when I was a child," said Khadr, now 23. He then declared the Pentagon's war court a political tool, fired his American defense team and said he would boycott his Aug. 10 trial rather than mount a defense.

The revelation comes as the Obama administration is struggling to close down the prison camps that Monday held 181 detainees.

Had the plea deal been sealed, Guantanamo's youngest and last Western captive would have returned to his native Canada in 2015 to serve out a sentence of up to 30 years.

Last week, the al Arabiya satellite news channel reported that Osama bin Laden's cook signed a deal that sends him home to his native Sudan in 2012.

"I'm representing myself and I'm boycotting," said Khadr who has grown from an adolescent captured near death in Afghanistan into manhood in U.S. military custody. He wore the white prison camp uniform of a compliant captive.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Youngest captive at Guantanamo seeks to defend himself

July 11, 2010 11:55 PM

world

Pentagon allows banned reporter to return to Guantanamo

July 08, 2010 09:10 PM

national

U.S. has now lost 75 percent of Guantanamo habeas cases

July 08, 2010 05:37 PM

HOMEPAGE

See the images of Guantanamo detainees at The Miami Herald

January 11, 2010 07:07 AM

HOMEPAGE

Special report: 'Guantanamo: Beyond the Law'

May 21, 2009 12:47 PM

HOMEPAGE

Guantanamo Bay Detainee Litigation ruling at FindLaw.com

May 20, 2009 02:39 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service