Venezuela to present 'peace plan' to end Colombia standoff | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Venezuela to present 'peace plan' to end Colombia standoff

Jim Wyss - The Miami Herald

July 29, 2010 06:58 AM

Over the last week, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has broken diplomatic ties with Colombia, warned his nation to prepare for an invasion and threatened to stop crucial oil exports to the United States — even if Venezuelans have to "eat rocks."

On Thursday, Venezuela has an opportunity to roll back the rhetoric when it presents a "peace plan" at an emergency session of the South American Union of Nations, or UNASUR, in Ecuador.

"We have to fix this problem at its root, which is the war in Colombia," Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro told Venezuela's national news agency.

It's unclear if the proposal will address Colombia's central demand: that international observers be allowed to visit dozens of sites inside Venezuela where it says some 1,500 leftist rebels have taken refuge and are using the country to launch raids into Colombia.

The current crisis began last week, when Colombia's ambassador to the Organization of American States presented a series of photographs and videos that he said were proof that leftist guerrillas belonging to the Armed Revolutionary Forces of Colombia, FARC, and the National Liberation Army, ELN, had set up at least 87 camps in Venezuela.

Chavez called the evidence a sham and severed all times with Colombia. Over the weekend, he accused the U.S. of pushing for a conflict with the aim of taking over Venezuela's vast oil wealth.

Despite Chavez's almost daily warnings that the nation is on the brink of war, few analysts here believe it. But they say the government is already waging — and sometimes winning — a more immediate battle: controlling the media message just two months before critical legislative elections.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Venezuela's Chavez severs ties with Colombia over FARC

July 23, 2010 07:00 AM

HOMEPAGE

Coverage of Latin America from The Miami Herald

February 09, 2009 11:38 AM

world

Criticism of Chavez government will continue, says Globovision president

July 14, 2010 06:59 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service