Khadr's lawyer asks Supreme Court to stop Guantanamo trial | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Khadr's lawyer asks Supreme Court to stop Guantanamo trial

Carol Rosenberg - The Miami Herald

August 03, 2010 07:02 AM

The Army lawyer defending the last Western captive at Guantanamo turned to the U.S. Supreme Court Monday in a last-ditch bid to stop the upcoming war crimes trial of alleged Canadian terrorist Omar Khadr.

The Toronto-born Khadr, 23, was captured, critically wounded, at age 15 in Afghanistan in a U.S. raid on a suspected al Qaida compound.

Pentagon prosecutors charge that Khadr committed war crimes for allegedly hurling a grenade that killed a Special Forces soldier in the July 2002 raid. The Pentagon also accuses Khadr of conspiring with al Qaida to commit terrorism for allegedly helping to plant bombs along Afghan roadways to resist the U.S. invasion to topple the Taliban and route al Qaida after the 9/11 attacks.

But Army Lt. Col. Jon Jackson, Khadr's Pentagon-appointed defense lawyer, said in a statement Monday that U.S. plans to put him on trial before a military jury at Guantanamo later this month deny the Canadian due process because the court is designed for foreigners not American citizens.

"Separate is always unequal," said Jackson, noting that accused terrorists who are U.S. citizens "get all the protections of federal court."

"If you are a noncitizen, you are tried by a military commission. The military commissions provide young Omar, a Canadian citizen, only second-class justice," he said. "This kind of discrimination is something we cannot stand for as a country."

Jackson's emergency petition to the Supreme Court asks the justices to either order a lower court to consider Khadr's petition on the separate and unequal argument -- or to consider the case itself.

Federal judges had earlier said that, because Congress created the latest version of Military Commissions, civilian review would only be appropriate after a trial and in the case of conviction, an appeal through the war court system.

Meantime, the Defense Department is airlifting some 32 international journalists, many of them Americans and Canadians, to watch the resumption of pre-trial hearings in the Khadr case.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Guantanamo detainee Khadr rejects U.S. plea deal

July 13, 2010 07:15 AM

world

Guantanamo hearing: Ex interrogator felt sorry for Khadr

May 05, 2010 03:22 PM

world

Interrogator says Khadr was told he'd likely be raped in U.S.

May 06, 2010 01:05 PM

HOMEPAGE

See the images of Guantanamo detainees at The Miami Herald

January 11, 2010 07:07 AM

HOMEPAGE

Special report: 'Guantanamo: Beyond the Law'

May 21, 2009 12:47 PM

HOMEPAGE

Guantanamo Bay Detainee Litigation ruling at FindLaw.com

May 20, 2009 02:39 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service