Rwandan genocide survivor sees laptops as key to country's future | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Rwandan genocide survivor sees laptops as key to country's future

Mimi Whitefield - The Miami Herald

August 09, 2010 06:59 AM

Samuel Dusengiyumva, the son of a pastor and a nurse, was 13 years old in the spring of 1994, when more than 800,000 Rwandans were slaughtered in a 100-day killing spree of unthinkable proportions. His family — mother, father, siblings — was wiped out by the Rwandan genocide.

Dusengiyumva recalls being stopped with a younger brother at one of the roadblocks set up around the country.

"I tried to run with my brother but he couldn't make it," he says. "And they took him and killed him. I had aunties and grandfathers and they were all killed."

Afterward, he spent a long time thinking about whether he would be "a useless person," kill himself or "try to lead a real life."

Dusengiyumva chose to put his life back together through education — finishing school and studying to become a lawyer — and that decision led him to his current role: country manager for a computer program that aims to put a laptop in the hands of every school-age child in Rwanda.

Dusengiyumva, who visited Miami recently, sees building a knowledge-based society as a way of healing Rwanda.

So far, 65,000 rugged, child-size computers — which can be powered by solar panels or crank and pedal attachments — have been distributed to Rwandan kids ages 5 to 12 through the Miami-based One Laptop Per Child Association, and another 40,000 are on the way.

President Paul Kagame, a former rebel leader who is credited with ending the genocide, is aiming for 2.2 million laptops to serve every primary-school-age child in the country, said Rodrigo Arboleda, chairman and chief executive of the OLPC Association.

The association handles logistics, finances and training for the One Laptop Per Child Foundation, which was created by Nicholas Negroponte and others at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Media Lab.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service