Jury chosen for Khadr's Guantanamo war crimes trial | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Jury chosen for Khadr's Guantanamo war crimes trial

Carol Rosenberg - The Miami Herald

August 12, 2010 07:04 AM

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba — An Army judge impaneled a seven-member military commission Wednesday to hear terror suspect Omar Khadr's war-crimes case, including a Marine colonel with a Purple Heart from Iraq and a Navy captain who called Guantanamo a "no-win situation."

It was the first day of the holy month of Ramadan, and the military judge, Army Col. Patrick Parrish, set opening arguments in the up to month-long trial for Thursday.

Khadr, captured at 15, allegedly hurled a grenade that killed U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Christopher Speer, 28, of Albuquerque, N.M., in a July 2002 raid on a suspected al Qaida compound in Afghanistan. Khadr is now 23. Conviction carries a maximum life sentence, and under the military system only two-thirds of the seven need to vote to find him guilty to secure a conviction.

The war-court clerk provided a pool of 15 American officers who had been flown in from bases around the world to hear the case and prosecutors and defense lawyers questioned them individually Wednesday to wind up with four men and three women officers.

Under war-court rules, each side was allowed to eliminate one juror without explanation.

Chief-case prosecutor Jeffrey Groharing, a former Bush administration-era Marine, used his to strike an Army lieutenant colonel who said he agreed with President Barack Obama's order to empty the prison camps here on grounds their existence "eroded America's moral authority in the world."

The 20-year career Army officer said he had been posted in Europe since Sept. 11, 2001 and "rightly or wrongly" the controversial prison here lost America "it's status as a beacon of liberty and justice."

Pentagon defense lawyer Army Lt. Col. Jon Jackson voted off an Army colonel who had told the court he had served in Iraq in 2003 and read The Looming Tower, the unrivaled al Qaida history. The man had two friends who were hurt by improvised-explosives attacks and Jackson argued he was too profoundly moved by it.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Guantanamo jury gives al Qaida cook 14-year sentence

August 12, 2010 06:57 AM

world

Khadr's confessions can be used during Guantanamo trial, judge rules

August 10, 2010 07:01 AM

HOMEPAGE

Follow Carol Rosenberg's reports on Guantanamo on Twitter

August 10, 2010 01:05 PM

HOMEPAGE

More Guantanamo coverage from the Miami Herald

May 01, 2009 08:16 PM

HOMEPAGE

After Guantanamo

May 04, 2009 11:07 AM

HOMEPAGE

Guantanamo Bay Detainee Litigation ruling at FindLaw.com

May 20, 2009 02:39 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service