Doubts about Wyclef Jean's eligibility for Haiti president surface | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Doubts about Wyclef Jean's eligibility for Haiti president surface

Jacqueline Charles - The Miami Herald

August 20, 2010 06:56 AM

After meeting with Haitian President Rene Preval, hip-hop star Wyclef Jean said he feels "we are going to be OK" when a final list for presidential contenders comes out Friday. But there were signs late Thursday that Jean, a presidential hopeful himself, might not make the final cut.

By late Thursday, lawyers for the Provisional Electoral Council had compiled 20 pages of legal documents — including passport records — that they said show Jean is not a Haitian resident.

Sources also told The Herald that Jude Celestin, Preval's pick, and Jacques-EdouardAlexis are expected to be on the list.

But Gaillot Dorsinvil, head of the electoral council, told The Miami Herald "the list does not yet exist. We are still awaiting the decision."

Jean, who said he had been in hiding because of death threats, met with Preval for three hours Thursday at the president's home.

"He was reading on the Internet that I was in hiding," Jean told The Miami Herald moments after leaving what was supposed to be a quiet, discreet meeting. However, he arrived with an entourage.

"He said, me and him are too close. . . he was concerned and asked, do I need security?

"[Preval] said the most important thing for him is that for the first time in history he wants clean elections. He doesn't want to see where candidates are bad-mouthing other candidates."

Jean, 40, declared his candidacy for president of Haiti along with 33 others two weeks ago. But the electoral council is expected to make the final decision Friday. The presidential election is scheduled for Nov. 28.

It has been a wild ride for Jean since he declared his intention to run for president of this quake-battered nation. His candidacy has spurred harsh criticism as well as drawn popular support, especially among Haiti's youth.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Is Wyclef Jean a candidate in Haiti's presidential elections?

July 28, 2010 07:10 AM

world

Haiti's reconstruction phase officially begins

July 13, 2010 07:04 AM

world

Nowhere to go, so Haiti's displaced residents stay in squalid camps

July 11, 2010 02:00 PM

world

Haiti urged to continue battle against human trafficking

July 09, 2010 07:03 AM

world

Haiti quake also shaking up traditional view of women

July 04, 2010 06:12 AM

HOMEPAGE

Read the Miami Herald's Haiti coverage here

January 13, 2010 11:33 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service