Government has let Blackwater, KBR off the hook, too | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Government has let Blackwater, KBR off the hook, too

Marisa Taylor and Warren P. Strobel - McClatchy Newspapers

September 19, 2010 12:01 AM

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration's dilemma in deciding how to punish contractors for contract violations and other infractions isn't confined to the Louis Berger Group or to Afghanistan.

The administration decided last month not to bring criminal charges against the security contractor formerly known as Blackwater, now named Xe Services, after a nearly four-year investigation found sanctions violations, illegal exports and bribery, as McClatchy first reported in June.

In May, Houston-based KBR, formerly a subsidiary of contracting giant Halliburton, received a more than $500 million no-bid contract from the Army for work in Iraq. The Army awarded the contract on the same day that the Justice Department joined a whistleblower lawsuit alleging that KBR employees had received kickbacks.

Recent court documents have revealed that KBR is asserting that the U.S. government pledged it would assume liability on behalf of the company in Iraq. U.S. soldiers who guarded KBR employees now allege that the company didn't properly warn them about exposure to a toxic chemical and have sued the company.

From the outset, congressional critics have alleged that the company got favorable treatment from USAID because of its ties to former Vice President Dick Cheney, Halliburton's former chief.

"The fact that a company like KBR can still win new contracts after repeatedly engaging in negligent behavior that harms our troops sends the wrong message about accountability," said Rep. Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., who's pressed the Army for an explanation. "Contractors like KBR should not be rewarded for negligence, especially when that negligence costs lives."

(Tish Wells contributed to this article.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Cost of Afghanistan project soars, benefits exaggerated

Feds won't charge Blackwater in Sudan sanctions case

Patron of Afghan school is local warlord, U.S. ally

Check out McClatchy's national security blog: Nukes & Spooks

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service