West Bank settlers celebrate end of construction freeze | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

West Bank settlers celebrate end of construction freeze

Sheera Frenkel - McClatchy Newspapers

September 26, 2010 04:52 PM

REVAVA, West Bank — Thousands of Jewish settlers celebrated the expiration Sunday of a 10-month freeze on new settlement construction in the West Bank, defying efforts by Israeli and Palestinian officials to reach a compromise on the issue and keep peace negotiations alive.

Palestinian and American officials said it likely would take some days to find a solution to the settlement moratorium. Palestinians have said they'd abandon the talks if Israel ends its moratorium on the construction of settlements on land in the West Bank that Palestinians say is earmarked for a future independent state.

Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, however, heads a largely right wing, pro-settlement coalition that's threatened to dissolve the parliament if he continues any form of settlement freeze. Netanyahu and Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas launched direct peace talks earlier this month at the urging of the White House.

"I think that the chance of achieving a mutually-agreed understanding about (the) moratorium is 50-50. I think that the chances of having a peace process is much higher," Ehud Barak, the Israeli defense minister, told the BBC. "We cannot afford . . . to let this process, with historic potential impact on the lives of many millions, on the stability of the whole region, to be derailed by the fact that Israel doesn't have a way to stop this building totally."

Officials close to President Barack Obama said Sunday that they hope the talks could find a way forward.

"We are going to urge and urge, and push throughout this day to get some kind of resolution," Obama advisor David Axelrod told ABC News. "These talks themselves are absolutely crucial — we're at a critical juncture in that region."

Dozens of settlers Sunday cheered a cement truck that poured a foundation for a new building in the West Bank settlement of Kiryat Netafim. Settler leaders invited members of the press to film the symbolic step, which they said marked the beginning of "celebrations" to mark the end of the freeze.

Just after five in the evening, thousands of people gathered in the nearby settlement of Revava to hold a ceremony honoring their communities. The ceremony included a countdown to sunset, which Jews believe marks the end of the day, and therefore of the government-imposed moratorium.

"Today it's over, and we will do everything we can to make sure it never happens again," settler leader Dani Dayan told the crowd. "We return with new energy and a new determination to populate this land."

Lawmaker Danny Danon, a member of Netanyahu's Likud Party, organized the rally in Revava Sunday, and said it was time for the government to "remember its love" for the settler movement.

Netanyahu has asked ministers and members of his government to "show restraint and responsibility today and in the future" by not creating a fanfare over the expiration of the freeze.

Officials in Netanyahu's office said he continued meeting with his advisers late into Sunday night to examine compromises that would impose a partial freeze in the larger settlement blocs and limit the expansion of smaller outposts.

Senior Palestinian officials, speaking anonymously, have said they they'd likely consider some sort of compromise, though officially they've said that they'd await the results of the current round of discussions and convene the Palestine Liberation Organization and the Arab League to issue a joint response to any proposed compromise.

Abbas signaled his flexibility in an interview Sunday with the pan-Arab daily al-Hayat, saying he'd immediately withdraw from peace talks if construction resumed.

White House official David Axelrod, told ABC that efforts to find a position that would allow both sides to continue the peace talks are continuing.

"We're very eager to keep these talks going," he said. "We are going to urge and urge and push throughout this day to — to get some kind of resolution."

Throughout the Jewish settlements in the West Bank, however, protests and ceremonies were being prepared to signal public — and unambiguous — support for the settlements.

As settlers released 2,000 blue and white balloons into the air at Revava — symbolizing the 2,000 building permits that were held up because of the freeze — residents promised to "flood" Israel's Housing Ministry with thousands of new building requests.

"The freeze is over," shouted Knesset member Danon to rounds of applause from onlookers. He said he couldn't predict, however, what his party would do.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Obama asks Arab states to do more in peace effort

Mitchell: Mideast peace accord can be inked in a year

Mideast peace talks forecast: Cloudy, occasional outbursts

Fast start: Netanyahu, Abbas meet alone for 90 minutes

Obama, Netanyahu condemn Hamas killings in Israel

(Frenkel is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service