Officer: Army has evidence to try soldier in Afghans' deaths | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Officer: Army has evidence to try soldier in Afghans' deaths

Adam Ashton - The News Tribune

October 06, 2010 09:28 PM

An Army investigating officer this week recommended that a Stryker soldier accused of killing three civilians in Afghanistan should go to trial to face the charges.

Col. Thomas Molloy's recommendation does not guarantee that Spc. Jeremy Morlock will go to a court martial trial, where he could face the death penalty. That decision is up to 2nd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division commander Col. Barry Huggins, and it is expected within the next few weeks.

"A final decision has not been made," said Maj. Kathleen Turner, an Army spokeswoman at Joint Base Lewis-McChord.

Morlock is one of five 5th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division soldiers at Lewis-McChord who stand accused of killing civilians on their recent deployment to southern Afghanistan. Their unit was re-flagged as the 2nd Brigade when it came home.

The men accused of murder allegedly carried out scenarios to kill Afghans in combat-like situations. They have denied the charges, and they await hearings before investigating officers like Molloy.

Morlock, 22, last week appeared before Molloy for a hearing where his attorneys sought to discredit statements Morlock gave to Army investigators in May when he confessed to the killings. His attorneys painted him as intimidated by Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs, a squad leader who allegedly devised the kill scenarios. Gibbs is among the five accused of murder.

Morlock's attorneys also tried to cast doubt on the Army's evidence, repeatedly drawing attention to the inability of investigators to collect physical evidence connecting Morlock to a specific death.

Molloy, however, found that Morlock's May statements provided enough evidence to put the soldier on trial for participating in the killings.

The investigating officer was not swayed by defense arguments that Morlock had poor judgment during his deployment and during his interviews with Army investigators because he was taking a "cocktail" of prescription drugs to help him deal with four concussions he received in combat.

"During the times alleged in the charges, Spc. Morlock functioned as a team leader for a dismounted infantry squad, then carrying the designation of corporal, a leader," Molloy wrote. "In the eyes of his leaders and fellow soldiers, he was an effective, reliable, engaged team leader. The undersigned found no evidence that the accused was behaving in an erratic, impaired or irrational manner — as an intoxicated person would — at the time of the alleged offenses."

Geoffrey Nathan, one of Morlock's civilian attorneys, contends Morlock's statements won't hold up if the case goes to trial. He says investigators did not give Morlock an attorney when he asked to consult with one, and that Morlock was allowed to continue taking prescription drugs for pain relief during his interview with Army investigators, further impairing his judgment.

"I didn't expect this at all," Nathan said. "This was a very thorough hearing. We won the hearing. I don't understand how this could go any further on a murder charge for which there is no weapon, no body and nothing except a highly questionable statement from Morlock."

Morlock also is accused of violating a general order by keeping pictures of Afghan casualties, assaulting a fellow soldier and using hashish while he was deployed. Molloy determined that there was enough evidence to put Morlock on trial for those charges.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

crime

Soldier who blew whistle on Afghan killings moved for his safety

October 05, 2010 07:49 PM

crime

Prosecutors: Soldier was 'eager participant' in Afghan killings

September 28, 2010 07:36 AM

world

Stryker soldier accused of murdering Afghans has hearing

September 28, 2010 12:58 PM

world

Alaska soldier's drug use an issue in war crimes hearing

September 26, 2010 06:34 PM

world

Afghan war crimes case reopens scrutiny of Iraq killings

September 30, 2010 08:56 PM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service