U.S. soldier held in probe of Taliban detainee's death | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

U.S. soldier held in probe of Taliban detainee's death

Dion Nissenbaum - McClatchy Newspapers

October 19, 2010 06:30 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — The U.S. military detained an American soldier and launched a criminal investigation Tuesday after Afghan President Hamid Karzai publicly accused U.S. forces of shooting and killing a Taliban leader in his southern Afghanistan jail cell.

American officials said a U.S. soldier was in custody after a "senior leader of the (local) Taliban" had been found shot to death in his cell in Kandahar province's rural Arghandab district.

Earlier, Karzai had issued a blunt statement launching his own probe of the allegations emanating from Arghandab, a district that's now the focus of intensified military efforts to oust Taliban forces from the fertile valley.

"Based on reports from Arghandab, coalition troops entered the Arghandab district prison at 9:30 p.m. Sunday and killed a detainee named Mullah Mohibullah," Karzai's office said.

The incident comes as American officials are trying to make a case that coalition forces and the pro-Western government in Kabul are gaining the upper hand in the fight against Taliban-led insurgents.

Even if the soldier is cleared, the allegations could create more friction between Karzai and the Obama administration as the two allies try to regain the initiative in the fight against the Taliban.

The shooting is the second major military controversy to emerge from Kandahar province. Five other American soldiers who served in a neighboring Taliban stronghold have been accused of killing Afghan civilians for sport and keeping fingers as battlefield trophies.

"The U.S. takes very seriously any mistreatment of detainees," said Rear Adm. Greg Smith, the chief spokesman for the U.S.-led military in Afghanistan. "Our forces are trained to uphold the rights of persons in custody," and any violations of those rights are investigated, he said.

Even before the latest allegations emerged, the U.S. military has been buffeted by criticism of the unsuccessful rescue attempt earlier this month of kidnapped British aid worker Linda Norgrove.

After initially saying that Norgrove had been killed when one of her captors detonated a suicide vest next to her, the U.S. military retracted the claim when it discovered that one of her would-be rescuers might have killed her.

On Tuesday, several British newspapers reported that a U.S. Navy SEAL was facing disciplinary action for apparently throwing a fragmentation grenade into the room where the 36-year-old Norgrove was being held.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.S. forces may have killed aid worker accidentally

British aid worker held in Afghanistan killed in rescue attempt

Pakistan blocks NATO convoys, but Taliban get free passage

Officer: Army has evidence to try soldier in Afghans' deaths

U.S. apologizes to Pakistan for troop deaths in airstrike

Follow Afghanistan news at McClatchy's Checkpoint Kabul

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service