Under new plan, U.S. troops will stay in Afghanistan till 2014 | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Under new plan, U.S. troops will stay in Afghanistan till 2014

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

November 16, 2010 07:24 PM

WASHINGTON — The White House on Tuesday unveiled a plan for Afghanistan that foresees U.S. troops remaining there until at least the end of 2014, more than three years past when President Barack Obama promised he'd begin withdrawing troops from the war-torn country.

White House officials, briefing reporters, said the U.S. will introduce the plan at a NATO summit in Lisbon, Portugal, that begins on Friday.

In outlining the proposal, the officials made no mention of U.S. troops withdrawing in 2011 and instead referred to the date as the beginning of "a responsible transition."

The plan is the latest iteration of an unfolding U.S. strategy in Afghanistan that began with a months-long policy review last year followed by the deployment of 30,000 more U.S. troops over the summer. In announcing the additional troops, Obama said a withdrawal would begin in July 2011 and that there'd be an extensive review of the strategy in December of this year.

McClatchy reported last week that the Obama administration would use the Lisbon meeting to begin de-emphasizing the withdrawal date in favor of a 2014 date.

There was no mention of a withdrawal of troops during Tuesday's telephone briefing, which was conducted on the record by Douglas Lute, the president's special assistant for Afghanistan; Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall, the senior director of European affairs for the National Security Council; Ivo Daalder, the U.S. ambassador to NATO; and Ben Rhodes, an NSC spokesman.

Under the latest plan, U.S. and NATO officials will begin next year handing responsibility for security to Afghan forces in some communities where NATO officials believe Afghan forces are capable of taking control. The process will continue through 2014.

The U.S. and NATO will remain in Afghanistan through that period.

As the Afghan forces "stand up, they will not have to stand alone," Lute said.

The plan is the first time the Obama administration has offered a timeline for the pace of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, which hinges on the progress of the Afghan security forces U.S. troops are now training.

But even the 2014 date could change — something some military commanders fear might be necessary because of the difficulty of training Afghan forces. Many Afghan soldiers and police officers forces can't read, and U.S. soldiers complain of their heavy drug use and lack of discipline.

The administration's plan comes as Afghan President Hamid Karzai this week publicly criticized the U.S. for its increased use of night raids on Afghan homes. Army Gen. David Petraeus, the U.S. commander in Afghanistan, instituted the raids after he took command in July in an effort to round up Taliban fighters. Karzai called the raids an affront to Afghan sovereignty.

Obama and Karzai will attend the two-day summit. In addition to Afghanistan, the NATO countries also plan to discuss the organization's structure, missile defense, economic cooperation among the member countries and how they should address climate change.

It's unclear whether weary NATO nations will commit troops through 2014. Many of the largest contributors are reducing their combat presence altogether or replacing them with trainers.

The White House officials said Canada, which plans to withdraw its combat troops by the end of 2011, has committed to sending 950 trainers. At their peak, 2,900 Canadians were deployed in Afghanistan.

The Netherlands has announced that it, too, will withdraw its forces.

There are roughly 100,000 U.S. troops and 50,000 coalition troops in Afghanistan.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Afghan soldier turns weapon on American troops, kills 2

Commentary: Violence takes a turn to the north

Afghan election panel reports new evidence of serious fraud

Follow McClatchy's Checkpoint Kabul blog

Check out McClatchy's national security blog: Nukes & Spooks

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Flawed projects prove costly for Afghanistan, U.S.

November 14, 2010 12:01 AM

world

Contractor leaves Afghan police stations half-complete

November 14, 2010 12:01 AM

world

U.S. hires firms with questionable pasts for Afghan jobs

November 14, 2010 12:01 AM

world

McCain, Lieberman urge Obama to drop 2011 Afghan date

November 10, 2010 05:02 PM

world

Obama officials moving away from 2011 Afghan date

November 09, 2010 06:30 PM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service