Haitians, fearing cholera, attack workers collecting bodies | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Haitians, fearing cholera, attack workers collecting bodies

Jacqueline Charles - Miami Herald

November 21, 2010 01:12 PM

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Residents afraid of catching cholera turned on a group of body collectors -- and the photojournalists following them -- Saturday, snatching the lead supervisor and beating him up before calling police.

"It was a bad moment. I really thought they were going to kill me,'' Rochefort Saint-Louis, the supervisor of a Ministry of Health body collection team told The Miami Herald, after he was eventually released.

Saint-Louis, 30, is among a group of scrappy young men recently hired by Haiti's Minstry of Health to travel through the country to pick up victims of cholera who have died in institutions, in homes or in many cases, who were abandoned on the streets.

He continued working after the incident, transporting 13 dead-by-cholera victims to a far flung burial site near the city of Cabaret, not far from a mass grave for vicitims of the January earthquake that killed an estimated 300,000.

"I was afraid to lose the job,'' he said. ``This is my first job.''

Still, Saint-Louis and his team are learning that the job is both hazardous and sad. They had already picked up one dead cholera victim when they turned into a neighborhood in the city of Carrefour to collect another at the request of government officials. Three foreign photojournalists and their Haitian driver were following to document the work on film.

As they pulled up, they were greeted by an angry crowd.

"Residents confronted the truck with the body and said we don't want your cholera here,'' said Lee Celano, a freelance photographer. He was injured by shattered glass after rocks, thrown by the crowd, broke three of the car's windows.

"I don't really understand why they turned on us. It just shows how there is a strong amount of paranoia over cholera here and how they are completely irrational about it,'' Celano said. "People are really scared and doing irrational things.''

Cholera is a waterborne infection that is transmitted by drinking or eating food that is contaminated. It is not likely spread by casual contact.

Celano said the crowd soon began setting up barricades with rocks to prevent everyone from leaving. At some point, someone grabbed Saint-Louis. They stole his cellphone and money and beat him, he said.

His abductors eventually called the police to say someone had come to dump a dead-by-cholera victim in their community.

The police came and arrested him, Saint-Louis said. He was eventually released after police realized he was a government employee.

"The government really needs to give us the means to do our job,'' said Saint-Louis, who began work on Monday and seriously contemplated quiting even before Saturday's incident. "They have to educate the population. Sensitize them. We are trying to protect the public health, but the people could end up killing us. They almost did today.''

Instead of an ambulance, the team drives a truck where the body bags are exposed, adding to the population's fears. They also do not have police escorts as they go through neighborhoods retrieving bodies off streets where they've been abandoned by family and friends, or at private homes.

Read the full story at MiamiHerald.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Florida health officials brace for more cholera from Haiti

November 20, 2010 03:24 PM

world

In Haiti, cholera flows down a river

November 16, 2010 02:39 PM

world

In Haiti, cholera epidemic spreads

November 10, 2010 06:58 AM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service